66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

For the time being...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: Gfish on April 29, 2017, 08:35:47 AM
Interesting, with the stack, starting at the bottom of the gear, put : asbestos-keyed-asbestos-eared-Carbon fiber cut to size-keyed, and it fits pretty good. Can/should asbestos be greased? It'ed keep the dust factor down, 'till I get the other metal washers, and then I can cut some CF's n' do a 5 stack

Gfish, when you replace the drags, the 6-60 CF washers are thinner then the original 6-113 CF washers that the parts list calls for. You will probably have to file down the spacer sleeve about .030-.040"so that you can back the drags off enough. I wouldn't reuse the asbestos washers but if you do don't grease them. Just wrap them up & dump them. When you order the metal washers just buy the CF washers to be sure you have the right thickness. They are inexpensive from SB&T.

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 28, 2017, 03:23:35 PM
The drag stack - had 2 non-metal washers that look kinda like asbestos with a under-the-gear lookin washer(smaller diameter than existing undergear washer) used somewhere in the stack. The asbestos lookin ones 'er 2.42 & 2.38 mm's. With that arrangement, last washer is just above the gear when assembled. Ever hear of asbestos used in fishing reel drags?

Questions/suggestions? Modify the drag stack? Leave it as is(could it be the orginal arrangement?)?
Overall the sturdyness of the reel don't look like like it'ed handle more'n 'bout 8lbs. a drag as it is now, even with an upgraded stack.

Hey Gfish, I think that weird 3-stack(2 asbestos/1 undergear material) may have been stock. I've rebuilt 2 reels with that same arrangement...very odd. I just took it out of a black plate 4/0(same gearing) a few days ago and replaced with a 5 stack from Scott's. Just save all washers 'til ya reassemble...as I used one of the thick metal originals to reach correct stack height...so no need to file on the spacer. As far as the strength on the reel, it's a six post reel, should handle 15lbs. of drag alright. It is wide, which could lead to twist I suppose, if it was pushed real hard.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

Mo, black plate 4/0 is 2 to 1 & LB 66, 67, 68, is 2.4 To 1.

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on April 29, 2017, 05:59:40 PM
Mo, black plate 4/0 is 2 to 1 & LB 66, 67, 68, is 2.4 To 1.

Yep...because they use different pinions...but both use the #5-66 main.

RowdyW

So like I said it's not the same gearing. I was the one that switched the gearing in the original 113 4/0 & narrowed it with 66 parts. Later someone named it the grouper special.

Gfish

Thank you fishin-gents! I ordered the extra 2 washers, under-the-gear washer and I got some C-tex material in 0.5 & 1.0 mm to cut. Testing it, I's tempted to change the knob, keep the handle, surprised by the casting ability( I think that 30 wt. oil filled bushing really works) and not at all used to the slow 2.3 :1 retrevial rate.
Advice n' comments n' information very much appreciated. Learnin, learnin learnin!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I did some more research on that hybrid drag stack(2 asbestos washers/1 undergear washer) and sure enough...it's a stock Penn setup that was used in the big LBs and small Senators. In this pic from a 35B catalog they refer to it as "2 brake lining/1 red fibre". Interesting...:-\   Just a guess on my behalf, but it looks like three brake lining discs would have produced enough power to strain something, so they used one slick red fiber disc to lower the power a bit. Maybe someone more in the know will elaborate. 8)

Gfish

Thanks, Mo. I was interseted in that, i've never seen or heard of it. You gotta wonder what other owners may a done or not, when you see somethin' like that. One Uncle,  a plumber, passed away from asbestos related lung cancer...
Gfish

Gfish

67-Update. External additions: "A Squared" cast control bushing on tail plate; power knob added to Penn 24-55 power handle; added an extra post to the top, just forward of center( so my thumb'ed fit in there for cast control). Internal stuff added: 2 magnets on tail plate; 5 stack drag system; pro-98-60 stainless 10 tooth gear sleeve.
So what do I got now?: a low speed--high torque, high line capacity(using 70% braid) ~50yr. old conventional Penn. One Ohana member described the Senator series as dressed up Long Beach's, sounds reasonable. I have 2 things to control spool overrun. Hopefully a strengthed frame, that was in, my opinion, weak looking (6 bottom 1/2-of-the-reel only posts, and only 4 stand screws and all the frame screws pretty small in diameter). A trustworthy gear sleeve with less backplay. A smoother drag, probably good for 15lbs.
As nasty as this reel was inside and out when I first got it, I don't think it was worked too hard while it was being fished. It's smooth, quiet, and shifts easier than all my other Penn's. Should bea good kayak trolling/bottom fishing reel with the low maintenance bushings insteada ballbearings. She's a Keeper!
Gfish

RowdyW

G-fish the hole in the plate for the upper post looks to deep. It looks like the only thing holding the post is the inner rings. Nice job though.        Rudy

mo65

I like it Gfish...the coolest reels are the ones someone modifies for their specific interest.  8)

foakes

Quote from: RowdyW on June 02, 2017, 04:05:43 AM
G-fish the hole in the plate for the upper post looks to deep. It looks like the only thing holding the post is the inner rings. Nice job though.        Rudy

Nice job, G-Fish --

The hole on the top post may be too deep -- hard to tell if it makes any difference though...

If a concern -- just pop in a small SS washer -- epoxy the hole flush -- let it dry for a day -- then redrill it as you judge to be correct -- reinsert the screw.

This will give the thin plate a little more stability and holding strength since these do not have exterior rings.

Good work!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Hi,
   I just cracked open an old (I assume it's old...no part #'s, scenic tail plate, and externally serviced drag ?) Long Beach 67 today, and see that there is a felt" washer" (sand seal, maybe ?) that has seen better days.......and doesn't seem to be on the parts list, anymore....does someone have one they could measure ? If you could post the dimensions, I could cut one.........Thanks !   Oh !! One more, before I go...it has a 5 stack drag, already, and I see the "wave washer"was installed on the "outside" of the spacer....just a mix-up ?, Or, with the Outside serviceable drag...is that the way it was done ? Thanks Again !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

it's not necessary.  you can leave it out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!