66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

The wavy washer does go on top of the spacer.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

OK, Thank you !  With all the reels I have been acquiring....I'll have to get a bigger RV to haul them all to the Gulf Coast , this winter ! Although, I *may* have some extra room, as my wife says she'll leave me if I buy any more !....I WILL miss her apple pie  ::)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

I found, when I started assembly, that the reel "stand" had been pretty badly *tweaked" at some point....so, I used the two favorite tools in my box....a hammer and a pair of pliers....and did a little "tweaking" of my own !  I'll keep an eye out for a different stand, but since nothing on the reel has part #'s, I'd like to keep it that way.....it's not "nice enough" to be a "collector's piece", by any means, but, I'd like to think I kept it as "original" as possible, while still making it fishable . Lots of chrome loss makes her look pretty " shabby ", but that way it matches the rest of my gear !

Maxed Out

Since the long beach 68 was introduced just prior to the war, it's not likely many pre war models made it out of the factory. Finding a non numbered 1940's long beach 68 is no easy task. Finding one from Nebraska with zero salt water use is an incredibly lucky find !!

Ted

thorhammer

Pretty! I've never checked any of my reels for numbering.  Prolly should.  I know there are some waffle clickers, grooved levers etc mixed in all that stuff. 

Swami805

Man that reel looks new. Ted with a Nebraska "connection". Nice reel Ted
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

I picked up a Long Beach 66 for a nice price, leaving me some room to spruce it up without over investing. We all know how easy it is to spend way more than the reel is worth. :-\  This 66 looked fine over all, but the posts and stand were a bit too worn. These eBay pics show the general condition.

The stand on the left matches the condition of the spool and rings better than the original on the right.

The drag stack at the top of this pic is what I found inside the reel. Interesting...it appears to be a copy of the 130 Sailfisher's stack...2 leather/3 red fiber discs.
I got a kick out of it and decided to replace it with the original LB66 stack shown at the bottom of the photo. That's 2 brake lining/1 red fiber, and no, it's not as smooth as greased carbon fiber.

Hey now...that's a fine lookin' early fifties LB66. With a set of polished stainless steel posts the transformation is complete.

I'm still surprised by the number of local old timers who catfish these reels. My favorite feature on these early Penns is the picture tail plate. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

That cleaned up great ! I really like those "pictures" on the plates, as well.

As to "spending more than the reel is worth".....I guess there are several ways to look at that....for those that enjoy going to music concerts, for example....$80 for tickets, $30 for eats, and $10 for gas....for an evenings entertainment. vs. An E-bay reel for $25, parts from Scott's @ $30, maybe another $20 for a donor reel, and another $20-$30 for postage, grease, etc.........and you not only had a days "entertainment".....but , you still have the reel.....and who knows how many enjoyable hours you will have fishing it, looking at it.....and maybe, bragging about it ?

basto

Crow

I totally agree. Hard to find a new reel with moulded picture tail plates now.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteAs to "spending more than the reel is worth".....I guess there are several ways to look at that....for those that enjoy going to music concerts, for example....$80 for tickets, $30 for eats, and $10 for gas....for an evenings entertainment. vs. An E-bay reel for $25, parts from Scott's @ $30, maybe another $20 for a donor reel, and another $20-$30 for postage, grease, etc.........and you not only had a days "entertainment".....but , you still have the reel.....and who knows how many enjoyable hours you will have fishing it, looking at it.....and maybe, bragging about it ?

Absolutely brilliant!!

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on November 16, 2017, 03:51:50 PM
  I picked up a Long Beach 66 for a nice price, leaving me some room to spruce it up without over investing. We all know how easy it is to spend way more than the reel is worth. :-\  This 66 looked fine over all, but the posts and stand were a bit too worn. These eBay pics show the general condition.

The stand on the left matches the condition of the spool and rings better than the original on the right.

The drag stack at the top of this pic is what I found inside the reel. Interesting...it appears to be a copy of the 130 Sailfisher's stack...2 leather/3 red fiber discs.
I got a kick out of it and decided to replace it with the original LB66 stack shown at the bottom of the photo. That's 2 brake lining/1 red fiber, and no, it's not as smooth as greased carbon fiber.

Hey now...that's a fine lookin' early fifties LB66. I'm still surprised by the number of local old timers who catfish these reels.

My favorite feature on these early Penns is the picture tail plate. 8)

Mo, that is one sweet 66 you brought back to life. Nicely done !!.....and how could anyone not love that cool knob !!

grekim

Quote from: Crow on November 16, 2017, 04:15:09 PM
That cleaned up great ! I really like those "pictures" on the plates, as well.

As to "spending more than the reel is worth".....I guess there are several ways to look at that....for those that enjoy going to music concerts, for example....$80 for tickets, $30 for eats, and $10 for gas....for an evenings entertainment. vs. An E-bay reel for $25, parts from Scott's @ $30, maybe another $20 for a donor reel, and another $20-$30 for postage, grease, etc.........and you not only had a days "entertainment".....but , you still have the reel.....and who knows how many enjoyable hours you will have fishing it, looking at it.....and maybe, bragging about it ?

I'd have to agree and I am part musician too.   I figure I save quite a bit bringing a packed lunch to work instead of eating out.  I'd say 2 days buys a reel, another shipping, and another some part from Scott's B+T, and maybe one more for a bottle of wine to appease anyone who is suspicious of the venture :)
Educating fish on every trip

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 07, 2017, 07:31:06 PM
Mo, that is one sweet 66 you brought back to life. Nicely done !!.....and how could anyone not love that cool knob !!

I was wondering if anyone would mention that interesting green/butterscotch handle knob. I remember thinking if anyone would...it would be Ted! Merry Christmas buddy. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

Shown is the tail plate from a Penn 66. Anyone know the age? The handle knob color is dark brown.

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL