Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys
Just wondering about the colour of the eccentric spring in my 259 long beach.
I think this is the only eccentric spring I have seen that is not a stainless steel colour.???
It looks like copper.
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust wondering about the colour of the eccentric spring in my 259 long beach.
I think this is the only eccentric spring I have seen that is not a stainless steel colour.Huh?
It looks like copper.
Basto

I have done many 259's and not noticed any strange colored springs. Maybe a lube or grease that was used in the past has left a deposit on the spring causing it to discolor or the grease itself is coloring the metal.

Tightlines667

I have noticed these brass colored springs, brassy looking dog springs, and German silver colored ones in various older reel models (SeaGate, Silverbeach, BridgeCity, etc..)  It may be discoloring due to time, oxidation, or reaction with products, but these differences really appear to be different metal alloys to me.  The earlier metal drag washers sometimes appear to be a lighter colored bronze alloy.

I did some online reading on the history, and practice uses of metal alloys when I first started noticing differences.  Can't really remember everything I read, but the gist of it was.. just like plastics.. there was an evolution in metal alloys, and their associated production and manufacturering proceases throughout the century. 

It stands to reason that different blends were used for the same reel parts over time.  Marinized Bronze for instance, has several different acceptable alloys today, and overwent a change in blend over time.  Also, not all German Silver was the same alloy. 

What the exact differences are is another study altogether.  Just take a few shavings, and run it through a Mass Spectrophotometer, and you will have your answer.  I always thought it would be cool to have one of these machines in my garage someday ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

When I get a new/old  reel, I wash all metal parts in kerosene, then hot soapy water. This spring did not change at all after it`s wash.
It has since been given a light brush with blue grease after assembly though.
Thanks for your replies guys.
Basto

foakes

I have stripped down many Penns over the years -- batch clean, sort, organize -- sometimes parts are more useful than whole reels.

There are definitely older bronze colored springs.

Here are a few new old stock bronze 20s -- and a few used ones.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Hi Fred
Thanks for the photos. Much appreciated.
Basto

mo65

Basto...your Live Bait Caster is a beauty!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Thanks mo. You should see my new 180 I just posted.
Basto

thorhammer

Pretty! just got my first one a couple weeks back, and updated it a little bit. Shined up nicely.

Penn Chronology

It is good to see a little revival of the Model 259. It is a very versatile reel that can be modified many ways or is perfectly competent in its original factory form.

thorhammer

Yeah Mike, these jewels had somehow escaped my attention until recently, even with Bryan doing a nice write up on one a while back. I did swap out plastic spool but went with chrome spool  and pink Ande 30 to stay with an old-school look and still beef up capability, rather than aluminum spool. Also added shiny solid bars courtesy of Ted, graphite clamp and 24-66 oversize handle. Very pleased with result and will replace drags with Carbontex on my next Scott's order.

John

Bryan Young

John, I do have a 5-stack drag kit for this reel if you want a fighting chance. Only saying 🙄🤔😬
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 02, 2016, 01:21:46 PM

Penn placed the Model 259 Live Bait Caster in the Long Beach family of reels; but, I really believe it belongs in the Senator family. It is just like a Wide Model 110 aka 1/0 built a little faster than the slow 1/0.

There is one fact that I find interesting about the Model 259. The only parts on a Live Bait Caster that carry a Model 259 Part Number are the head and tail plate. All other parts are borrowed from other Penn models. This reel is made to be customized.

Michael, I thought the 259 and 1/0 have the same 3:1 retrieval.  Penn Parts claims both reels use the same main and pinion gears and bridge.  I don't have a 1/0 to compare mine with so I can't confirm or deny.

Yep, the 259 is made to be customized and I'll play along, too.  Here is a photo of a 99 width 259 with a Tiburon frame and spool.

Not many folks will ever see a 100 Yard 259.

Here it is compared to a Jigmaster 501.  You can see how the 259 is noticeably narrower than the 501.

I did this by installing the pillars, spool, and stand from a Long Beach 61.  Now, what I've done is sacrilegious to all of those who hold the Long Beach near and dear.  Don't worry, this was just an exercise and I've returned both reels to their original configuration.  BTW I consider the Long Beach 61 an extremely narrow 259 without the beauty rings, as they are the same diameter and share the same bridge and gears.

Enjoy,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

That 61 259 would be a perfect rock cod/salmon reel in our parts. Nice work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteMichael, I thought the 259 and 1/0 have the same 3:1 retrieval.  Penn Parts claims both reels use the same main and pinion gears and bridge.  I don't have a 1/0 to compare mine with so I can't confirm or deny.

You are correct. They are the same. I must have been thinking of another reel, or possibly not thinking at all.........................<:O(