Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Hi Sid
I think the Long Beach 259 live bait caster and the Long Beach Deluxe are two very different reels.
The 259 came in one size and the Deluxe came in three sizes.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteI think the Long Beach 259 live bait caster and the Long Beach Deluxe are two very different reels.
cheers
Basto

Basto, you are correct. There is no Deluxe in a Model 259 Live Bait Caster. The Long Beach Deluxe is a different animal.

basto

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me approximately when this one would have been made?

regards
Basto

Tightlines667

I would say late 1950s to early 1960s.. just kneejerk based on the chromed counterweight style (which actually looks to be early 1960s), and the fact that it's numbered (post ca. 1950).  The 259M (Metal spool) model was added to the lineup ca. 1950.  As you may know Mike's books ends in 1957, so I myself would have trouble telling you more detail.

According to Mike's book it was introduced with a lightweight spool in 1940, and discontinued in 1942, when it did not reappear in the catalogs until 1949.  Penn parts lists years of manufacture as early 1940s-late 1950s. 

Maybe Mike can fill in more details.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was the seller advertised it as from the seventies, but when I saw the tail plate I was doubtful of that age.
Any how, I bought it and am looking forward to it`s arrival.
cheers
Basto

Penn Chronology

The 259 has some quirky history flow. It is an old reel that goes back into the pre-war era. According to the catalogs, it is discontinued in 1958. Since this reel is dimensionally a Jigmaster 500 and the Jigmaster is introduced in 1959, I have always felt Penn removed the Live Bait Caster from the 1959 catalog purposely, so as not to compete with the "New Kid on the Block", the Jigmaster 500. I do have one picture of a Penn Live Bait Caster in a 1960's style Blue Flip Top Box with the 259 printed box end. According to the catalog history flow, that box should not exist. So saying exactly when the Live Bait Caster was no longer marketed is not a sure thing.

I can say, that the Live Bait Caster never made it to the 1970's.

This reel is one of my favorites. I have it mounted into two Neptuna cradle rigs, that were intended. by Neptuna, for Jigmasters (one of them I fish with) and I still fish with a top mount Live Bait Caster. They are a bit slower on the retrieve than a Jigmaster (which I like because of the extra torque) and the frame is stronger. I feel this is one of Penn's greatest reels and does not get the credit for that.

sdlehr

Quote from: basto on April 29, 2016, 10:34:18 PM
Hi Sid
I think the Long Beach 259 live bait caster and the Long Beach Deluxe are two very different reels.
cheers
Basto
Thanks, Basto. I've corrected the heading. I started setting up headings with info from Scott's website. They don't classify this reel properly. Thanks for helping make this more precise.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

basto

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 01, 2016, 02:17:54 PM
The 259 has some quirky history flow. It is an old reel that goes back into the pre-war era. According to the catalogs, it is discontinued in 1958. Since this reel is dimensionally a Jigmaster 500 and the Jigmaster is introduced in 1959, I have always felt Penn removed the Live Bait Caster from the 1959 catalog purposely, so as not to compete with the "New Kid on the Block", the Jigmaster 500. I do have one picture of a Penn Live Bait Caster in a 1960's style Blue Flip Top Box with the 259 printed box end. According to the catalog history flow, that box should not exist. So saying exactly when the Live Bait Caster was no longer marketed is not a sure thing.

I can say, that the Live Bait Caster never made it to the 1970's.

This reel is one of my favorites. I have it mounted into two Neptuna cradle rigs, that were intended. by Neptuna, for Jigmasters (one of them I fish with) and I still fish with a top mount Live Bait Caster. They are a bit slower on the retrieve than a Jigmaster (which I like because of the extra torque) and the frame is stronger. I feel this is one of Penn's greatest reels and does not get the credit for that.

Thank you for this information. I too admire this reel and would also like to acquire the other reel in question, the Long Beach deluxe, which I suspect is even a little stronger than the 259.
All the best
Basto

Aiala

I love this reel, too! Here's mine, dressed up with bars instead of posts and a red anniversary spool:

Sweeeeeeeeet!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

Here's mine. Slightly modified.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

Hi Ailia and Bryan
I can certainly see the relationship to the Jigmasters here.
Basto

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

I love this reel, too! Here's mine, dressed up with bars instead of posts and a red anniversary spool

Aiala, that is the prettiest Model 259 I have ever seen.

QuoteInsert Quote

Here's mine. Slightly modified.

Bryan, I never saw one narrowed; but, why not. The 501 parts are a perfect mod. I may do that myself some time I the future.

If Penn takes notice of all these Live Bait Caster mods, there may be a revival of this model!

twotone

I took Bryan's lead with his 99 SilverBeach mod, and now I have another build! Whether its Bryan's or Aiala. Maybe both!
twotone