Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Michael, when it comes to Penn, you have forgotten more than I'll ever know, and I don't think you have forgotten much, either.
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

Quote from: George4741 on September 18, 2016, 08:10:24 PM
Michael, when it comes to Penn, you have forgotten more than I'll ever know, and I don't think you have forgotten much, either.

X2...Mike's knowledge and how he shares it is very much appreciated.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

mo65

Hey Basto...I'm working on my 259 now and sure enough...the eccentric spring looks coppery! 8)

Bill B

darn it....another thing I have to be on the look out for...... ;)    Question:  Does Penn ever stop teaching us new stuff?!?!?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

Quotedarn it....another thing I have to be on the look out for...... Wink    Question:  Does Penn ever stop teaching us new stuff?!?!?   Bill

No, never. As soon as you think you have all the answers, that is when you are in trouble. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of reels produced over a period of about 80 years. How could we possibly ever know it all? ??? ??? ???

oc1

A weird thing about stainless is that it will corrode if there is salt and moisture present but not oxygen.  The oxygen is necessary to form a thin protective layer of chrome oxide.  The corrosion is usually just a thin layer of copper/brown rust, but can worsen and start galling if given enough time  If you put a coating like lacquer or paint on stainless it can actually cause it to stain/rust at the edges where moisture can creep under the coating while blocking the oxygen.  

I don't know if what you're seeing is the result of the grease coating excluding oxygen or if the alloy needed for springs back then had less corrosion resistance than what we're used to.  You can make a pretty good spring using a piece of hard stainless leader wire of the right diameter.  There were a lot of advances in stainless alloys in the late 1920's and 1930's.
-steve

Tightlines667

That makes total sense.  The areas where saltwater collects and can not dry tend to develop light rust spots. 

Now my all aluminum ZF hurst 63a transmission is built of non-coated corrosion-resistant aluminum.  It was in poor condition with alot of powdery coreosion and some minir pitting.  I decided to wire brush it to bare aluminum, while I qas refinishing my engine.  I immediately painted it with Yanmar paint, after being advised to do so.  It looked like a new engine and tranie when I was done.  6 weeks later and there are spots of salt buildup on the trannie, and some signs of rust in a few spots (like on sharper edges) on the engine.   I was just going to degrease both and touch them up a bit again.  Hopefully I am using tue right approach here?

I have never seen salt buildup like tuat in 1 spot.. kinda curious looking.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

I picked up a left handed 259 a few days ago. At first I though something was wrong when I cranked the handle...hee hee...caught me off guard. Did they make a lot of these 259 lefties?

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on October 29, 2017, 02:43:44 PM
   I picked up a left handed 259 a few days ago. At first I though something was wrong when I cranked the handle...hee hee...caught me off guard. Did they make a lot of these 259 lefties?

Lefties are uncommon for any model Penn. Very nice bonus !!!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Quote from: mo65 on October 29, 2017, 02:43:44 PM

WOW, I have never heard of a lefty 259. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Great find Mo. I just remembered I never posted mine here.
Here is my 259

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Awesome, Sal. Looks real beefy. Did you do anything to the gears/bridge plate/drag sys. etc. to beef-up the inside?

Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Gregg, it has the SS gear sleeve, steel gears, 5+1 drags from Bri-Bri and double dogs.
A $40 reel when I purchased it, turned into a $300 reel ;D

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteGregg, it has the SS gear sleeve, steel gears, 5+1 drags from Bri-Bri and double dogs.
A $40 reel when I purchased it, turned into a $300 reel Grin

Sal, you have created the most high tech and valuable Live Bait Caster in the history of Penn. These reels do not command much attention, you have changed that dramatically with your mods. Very impressive