Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Cool. I wanna do the ss gear sleeve upgrade on mine, but it's got the 3-99 bridge plate with the thinner diameter stud(0.188"). Any suggestions to get a newer plate witha 0.223" stud, where the bridge plate holes will line up with the side-plate screw holes?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on October 30, 2017, 06:11:32 AM
Cool. I wanna do the ss gear sleeve upgrade on mine, but it's got the 3-99 bridge plate with the thinner diameter stud(0.188"). Any suggestions to get a newer plate witha 0.223" stud, where the bridge plate holes will line up with the side-plate screw holes?
Gfish
Your best bet is to purchase a complete reel, I doubt you'll find the 3-99 for sale...we've been talking too much here :).
You couldn't go wrong taking a chance on another to see if it has the correct bridge post, $40 is well worth it taking a chance on that reel.
Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 30, 2017, 06:09:22 AM
QuoteGregg, it has the SS gear sleeve, steel gears, 5+1 drags from Bri-Bri and double dogs.
A $40 reel when I purchased it, turned into a $300 reel Grin

Sal, you have created the most high tech and valuable Live Bait Caster in the history of Penn. These reels do not command much attention, you have changed that dramatically with your mods. Very impressive
Hello Mike, I wish I was the creator of these ;D, we all know who that man was.
We take the credit for putting custom parts in a reel, but the credit should go to the guys that make those parts for us and the very few that give suggestions.
Anyone of us could assemble a reel.
Oh, maybe just a little credit should go to the man that started the double dogs on these, but most goes to our machinists, they are the ones. :)

Keep up your excellent work that we all enjoy here, Mike.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Quote from Sal's last post reply:... "we've been talking too much here 🙂"  ??? Ah, ok. As young people say: "whatever".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on October 31, 2017, 03:58:38 AM
Quote from Sal's last post reply:... "we've been talking too much here 🙂"  ??? Ah, ok. As young people say: "whatever".

Meaning:
Whenever we discuss something here, it could be parts or reels, they will be usually gone before we get a chance to purchase them for ourselves.
We have a lot of traffic here, if a suggestion makes sense to you, it will make sense to a few others as well, not necessarily a member.
I was not being  disrespectful .

Not long ago I was looking for a 722z in great condition, there were non to be found on line. Soon after I mentioned I was looking for one, they started coming out of the woodwork, with a price tag of over $150.

I do not have a 3-49 bridge with the correct post, if I did it would have been on its way to you.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I noticed that too Sal.
I've been nabbing a few spinners myself. There seem to be a lot available right now.
I'm not saying which ones. ;)
With three million hits, we are not alone.
As much as we try to help, some try to capitalize on our interests.
It is a double edged sword. ::)
Life is Good!

Gfish

Ok, ok. I get it now. Tough for me ta interpret the "read between the lines" meaning of others statements. Monetary predators are everywhere. Mabey I can geta old Jiggy plate to fit if I do some modifications. Thanks for the "heads up".

Got a little" Fredo Corleone"(Godfather Part ll) about that one, 'cause I didn't understand how outsiders can mess with the family(Ohana)business. Fredo, not long for this world, after Micheal confronts him about the Vegas "thing": "He told me there was something in it for me. I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says...like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect"!
Gfish

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on October 30, 2017, 06:11:32 AM
Gfish

Greg, I PMed you because I may have something...

Gfish

Thanks Joe. Here's a picture that's the best I can do 'till I get time to take a larger I.D. Jiggy plate out of the reel. Mabey you can see the diffrence in the I.D.'s of the gear sleeve's. The b. plate's a 3-99 w/ the skinny sleeve(won't fit the ss gear sleeve-2nd gen.). Note the green felt washer at the base, never seen that before. The sleeve on the left is the one that'll fit the thin one. Really like this reel, but I'd like to strengthen it, mainly with the ss-2nd gen. Sleeve, thena 5+1 drag stack.
Gfish

Decker

Found this post on the subject:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19995.0

I have a couple of those bridges, and will try to identify them. 

mo65

I think the skinny sleeves are from the early 259s. You'll better your chances for a "regular" bridge/sleeve by buying 259s with numbered parts. After buying several of these reels...I can say it's basically a roll of the dice as to which bridge/sleeve you''ll get. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

I had the same issue, a member here bailed me out with one of his stash.  

I was lucky, sometimes you have to wait awhile.

Thanks 'J'.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHello Mike, I wish I was the creator of these Grin, we all know who that man was.
We take the credit for putting custom parts in a reel, but the credit should go to the guys that make those parts for us and the very few that give suggestions.
Anyone of us could assemble a reel.
Oh, maybe just a little credit should go to the man that started the double dogs on these, but most goes to our machinists, they are the ones. Smiley

Keep up your excellent work that we all enjoy here, Mike.

Best,

Sal

I agree Sal. The creation of the special reels are made possible by the engineering and skilled machine work of the special few people that dedicate their time to these special parts.

That being said, there is also a certain amount of creativity in choosing the right parts to create an improved reel. Putting the right combination of parts to enhance the aspects of a reel for your own particular purpose is not as easy as simply assembling a reel from parts.

Basically, it is the combined skills of the group that winds up with an improved end product. In my humble opinion......<:O)

Decker

Greg, I think we're in luck.  I have this from a 99 Silverbeach.  I couldn't get the pin out, but I'm 90% sure this is the bridge you're looking for.  PM me your address please.   I've gotten a lot of free help lately from members and need to pass it on  ;)

I have an old 259 and was thinking of doing the same...  and have another another of the same bridge for that, so you actually saved me the trouble of discovering the two different posts ;D    We'll have a small showcase here of customized frankensteined 259's 8)

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

Thanks Joe. "I never forget a favor from a friend":  P. Clemenza, Corleone Family Caporegime(lieutenant) after Vito Corleone hides guns for him( both men young and long before forming their own crime family). Man, there's alota wisdom in the Godfather franchise. PM sending.