Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 05, 2018, 10:22:03 PM
Quote from: Decker on January 05, 2018, 09:56:10 PM
Is it me or does Ted seem to be operating at a whole different level?

I'll answer that......it's very simple, I click on new listing on ebay and there it was, just got listed for $45 and free shipping. Just no way I could stop myself from hitting the buy it now icon.

That's my secret....Hope that helps  ;)  ;)

Now hold on a minute...it ain't that easy...I spend every spare minute of my day checking new listings and I still never see most of these gems. There is MOJO involved. :D  Impressive Ted, that is a sweet lefty 259, and the box, and the catalog, you da man brother! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

I just realized I never posted pics of the lefty 259 I had...it was a gift for my brother...and he wanted to try a restoration himself. Looks like he got 'er cleaned up pretty good. 8)

Maxed Out

Hey Mo, the boat on the tail plate looks to be having difficulties. They got too close to shore and now all 5 rods are snagged on the lighthouse.  ;D  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JRD

Here's my foray into this cool little reel.  Full Newell 501 kit, Cortez sleeve, stainless dog and modified Okuma crank. I'm not sold 100% on the crank yet, visually it's overkill but wanted to make it comfortable for the 100-160 foot trips up from the bottom.

Decker

Quote from: JRD on February 11, 2018, 07:36:57 PM
Here's my foray into this cool little reel.  Full Newell 501 kit, BP sleeve, stainless dog and modified Okuma crank. I'm not sold 100% on the crank yet, visually it's overkill but wanted to make it comfortable for the 100-160 foot trips up from the bottom.

I've been wanting to build one, and like what you did, JRD.  How would you use it?  Is the Okuma crank a direct fit?

I'd like to see some way to measure torque on reel handles.  A long handle seems to make sense with a higher gear ratio, in order to have the mechanical advantage when fighting.  On a lower gear ratio, my thinking is that a shorter handle is handy for spinning fast from the wrist for bait check.  That's why they make two-speed reels, but I'm not ready to go there yet.  

Trying to decide if I should build mine with a 99-size or 501 spool.  With braid, a 99 may hold a lot more line than necessary.  I'm thinking of this as a blackfish (tautog) wreck reel -- strong enough to turn a fish heading for cover, so stainless gear sleeve, beefed-up drag, and double-dogged.  

/Joe  

JRD

Quote from: Decker on February 13, 2018, 01:46:15 PM

I've been wanting to build one, and like what you did, JRD.  How would you use it?  Is the Okuma crank a direct fit?

Joe this one has a Cortez sleeve, stainless single dog and a Bryan 5 stack.  I wanted a ling cod reel, torque and grunt at the start to keep them out of the rocks then enough speed to get them up.  I tried it first with a Motive Sals handle and BP 45mm EVA knob but felt it was too slow.  I have a Cortez CZ10 and liked the feel of the handle so got a new Okuma handle off of ebay, $14.98 shipped.  The length feels like it will let me speed it up a bit.

It's not a direct fit.  I used a frame screw to bolt an old Penn handle to it for lock screw placement and filed to fit.  The blade is a little thick but I feel there is enough shaft nut in the sleeve to be secure.  I made it a tight fit to where it took a little compression from shaft nut to get it to seat.   None the less I've ordered a CZ handle $17.98 which has a thinner, slightly shorter blade.  I will update the picts when it gets here

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's my foray into this cool little reel.  Full Newell 501 kit, Cortez sleeve, stainless dog and modified Okuma crank. I'm not sold 100% on the crank yet, visually it's overkill but wanted to make it comfortable for the 100-160 foot trips up from the bottom

Perfect modification for the job you want it to do. I think it would also be a perfect mod for Blackfishing (tautog). Getting the fish off the bottom is key and the drag / dog upgrades will be the perfect option to make that happen. I have a special liking for this model. Mine is narrowed to a 501 width with no internal mods yet; but, I will do them in the future. Probably change the spool to a chrome one when I do the internals. Great reels that disappeared from the market too early. IMHO

Decker

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 16, 2018, 04:24:25 PM
Perfect modification for the job you want it to do. I think it would also be a perfect mod for Blackfishing (tautog). Getting the fish off the bottom is key and the drag / dog upgrades will be the perfect option to make that happen. I have a special liking for this model. Mine is narrowed to a 501 width with no internal mods yet; but, I will do them in the future. Probably change the spool to a chrome one when I do the internals. Great reels that disappeared from the market too early. IMHO

Tony, thanks.  Everything I know about fishing reels comes from this site :)  What would the chrome spool do for you better than the aluminum?  /Joe

Penn Chronology

QuoteEverything I know about fishing reels comes from this site Smiley  What would the chrome spool do for you better than the aluminum?  /Joe

It would save the "hard to find" red aluminum spool from the wear and tear of fishing. If I found a black aluminum spool, I would use that too. The red one is a good use choice but it is a collectible, so I would want to save it.

Darin Crofton

Scored a 259 awhile back and finally cleaned it up a little, changed out the drag to cf's & smoothies, used a Newell "99" kit from Randy and used a JM power handle I got from the Boss. I'm going to use this one on a 11' rod I use for big sabiki rigs. Love all these old Penn's and bringing them back to life!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

I love the 259, great work Darin!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on April 20, 2019, 09:57:03 PM
   I love the 259, great work Darin!
Thanks, Mike! I bet these low gear models would be good for your river fishing? Didn't you post one with a 99 Tib frame?

Ron Jones

Darin
That reel has a 3 screw base 99 width Newell base?
That's cool.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

QuoteScored a 259 awhile back and finally cleaned it up a little, changed out the drag to cf's & smoothies, used a Newell "99" kit from Randy and used a JM power handle I got from the Boss. I'm going to use this one on a 11' rod I use for big sabiki rigs. Love all these old Penn's and bringing them back to life!

Love that reel Darin. I bet it is a very strong retrieve.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 20, 2019, 10:23:08 PM
Darin
That reel has a 3 screw base 99 width Newell base?
That's cool.
Ron Jones
Ron, It has two screws on each side of the base/seat, the same as the reel, fits like a glove  ;D

Love that reel Darin. I bet it is a very strong retrieve.
[/quote]
Thank you!