49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Thats the older model I would shelf it. Its the 49L with the aluminum spool is the one to fish with.

Mike

Swami805

Nice reel, I think I'd shelve it too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

Thats a nice one. Hex clicker is cool i usually only see those on Seagates. Definitely retire that one to the display shelf
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

QuoteSomething keeps drawing me to this reel. Sold it and bought it back. There is no numbers on parts. The handle and clicker look different. It has chrome spool with diamond holes in it but if I remember correctly changed this out because was thinking about fishing. I have plastic spool which is spoiled with Dacron. Is the reel a shelfie or fish it

I just sold one with a hex clicker, hated to part with it; but, I cannot keep them all. They are very unusual. Mine was no where as nice as yours is and I got $50 for it. Yours is definitely a keeper. I would shelve it.

The handle on mine was also different, there were no part numbers on any metal parts; but it had a plastic spool, which I believe was original. I placed the reel in a before the war category.

sharkman

Thanks Penn Chronology. There are some minor thing I noted also on this reel. The handle side bearing and star are very blocky not tapered down like newer. The original spool must have longer shaft on the handle side than newer model because when tried newer metal spools scrubbed unless you put new handle side bearing

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere are some minor thing I noted also on this reel. The handle side bearing and star are very blocky not tapered down like newer. The original spool must have longer shaft on the handle side than newer model because when tried newer metal spools scrubbed unless you put new handle side bearing

Over the years even though the models are the same, there will be changes like you mentioned. That is expected. Things like fits of trim rings and side plates can vary. Becoming familiar with the subtle differences helps a person date these old models.

sharkman

Thanks to Penn Chronology and members of this sight I have learned so much. I couldn't hold back the temptation to want to fish such a piece of history. I changed the original plastic spool to an aluminum spool thanks to xjchad. I kept all the original parts. I spoiled with Berkley Big Game. A reel that has lasted this long deserved nice place to sit. So I put on 20-40 Key Largo Custom rod. Now just got to book a trip and start it on some grunts then move it up to mangroves.

xjchad

Looks great man!  8)
Can't wait to see what you catch with it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Maxed Out

Sharkman, newer versions of this reel are common and very affordable..... In my honest opinion it would be a sin to fish this 49 simply because of the outstanding original factory condition it is in.

I have 3 nice 49's just sitting here....I'll send you all 3 for free and you can set aside the pre war 49 as a survivor. ...just thought I'd toss you that offer....pm your address and I'll get them on the way

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

You're the man Ted!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sharkman

Teds package arrived. The reels are amazing. Thank you

sharkman

I put the pre war back original and shelved

Swami805

Saw Jeffro's Nice collection of 49's and noticed the different names the reel had. When was the 49 called the "Fast action". I looked in the blue book but couldn't find it in there. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 16, 2018, 01:05:17 AM
Sharkman, newer versions of this reel are common and very affordable..... In my honest opinion it would be a sin to fish this 49 simply because of the outstanding original factory condition it is in.

I have 3 nice 49's just sitting here....I'll send you all 3 for free and you can set aside the pre war 49 as a survivor. ...just thought I'd toss you that offer....pm your address and I'll get them on the way

Ted

Ted, I just saw this for the first time.  That was terrific of you.  PM sent.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.