49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC49

Quote from: Swami805 on January 22, 2019, 03:33:07 AM
Saw Jeffro's Nice collection of 49's and noticed the different names the reel had. When was the 49 called the "Fast action". I looked in the blue book but couldn't find it in there. Thanks

Hi Sheridan based on the $12 price on your box it seems 1942 (catalog 10).

But there was also the King Salmon box at $12 so did Penn have both models at this time ??

Maybe Mike can shed some light on this ...  ??? ???

Regards
AC49

Maxed Out

Wow, that's a sweet reel with what looks to be a rosewood torpedo knob. Great score !!

The king salmon labeled box is not an easy find, and I believe it was very short lived.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe king salmon labeled box is not an easy find, and I believe it was very short lived

I have seen the King Salmon named box label with a $10.00 price and a $12.00 price. The $10.00 box would be a 1941 box and the $12.00 price would be a 1942 box. Those are the only years that box was used. After the war the King Salmon name disappeared.

WDill

Just a question for the more knowledgeable penn enthusiasts out there. I have noticed that there are two common side plates on the 49. One says Deep Sea Reel, and the other says Super Mariner. Is there any difference in the internal parts on these two variations. I really don't see a difference except maybe side plates and spools. ??? ???
Wish I were fishing

RowdyW

The Deep Sea is the earlier version. Same basic internals.

WDill

Thanks Rowdy, I was thinking about procuring a couple to pull planers on planer rods. Was wondering about changes in gear ratio.
Wish I were fishing

AC49

In 1951 catalog no. 16 it was called PENN No. 49 and in the 1952 catalog 17 the name changed to SUPER-MARINER.
If the SUPER-MARINER sideplates were in production from 1952-2006 then both these sideplates would have out there at the same time for a fairly lengthy period and could have been used at any time really.

Regards
AC49

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Rowdy, I was thinking about procuring a couple to pull planers on planer rods. Was wondering about changes in gear ratio

The Penn 49 has traditionally been a fast reel for its size. The retrieve ratio of 3 1/2 to 1 is all that it has ever been offered with. Moving to a Master Mariner 349 gives a high and low gear option..

WDill

By high and low gear options you mean I can change the Main and Pinion out for different ratios? ???
Wish I were fishing

Ron Jones

Quote from: WDill on July 01, 2019, 04:17:37 PM
By high and low gear options you mean I can change the Main and Pinion out for different ratios? ???

I believe that you have to replace the entire right side plate and spool. So, better to get two reels.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

I believe you will find that the 349 and 349H are the same except for main & pinion gears and drags.         Rudy

Crow

Rudy is correct......the only other difference in any of the 349 series is the extra "knuckle buster" lever on the "C" models
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

The information is *probably* here...somewhere, but I can't locate it, so......What was the first year of production for the 49 ? And, I'm 'assuming" that a "waffle clicker", and a "plain" (no clamp holes) stand would denote a pre 1940 reel ?  And, when did the 49 stop having the "wooden knob" (may be some sort of plastic, but I don't have the reel "in hand" yet...but it IS a round , early style knob)   I just "won" a bid, for one....very, very rough shape, but...it'll fit in with most of the stuff I have , that way :D.....Thanks !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"