Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

Quote from: sdlehr on April 07, 2016, 02:15:06 AM

How many left hand 349/349H reels did Penn sell?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on April 08, 2016, 12:40:24 PM

Is this a trick question? PennParts doesn't list a left-handed version of the 349... that would make the answer to your question zero.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

You are a funny guy Lee. Thanks for the laugh

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

The answer to that question is less than one million but more than one hundred. The left hand 349 was introduced in 1963 in the number 25 catalog, five years after the model was introduced in 1957. No production numbers exist.

RowdyW

I know that there is a least one because I traded one to Lee a couple of years ago for a jigmaster 500.

sdlehr

How common are red side plates on the 349?

Sid
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

I think all the last H models had red plates. I never saw an HC model with red plates.

Keta

Quote from: sdlehr on April 08, 2016, 07:48:57 PM

Is this a trick question? PennParts doesn't list a left-handed version of the 349... that would make the answer to your question zero.

Sid

Not a trick question, I have one thanks to Rowdy.  Rowdy, thank you so much for the trade, I have replaced all the bad parts and it is in good shape now and it is in a special place in my collection.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

I find the x49 reels confusing. They all have basically the same size and shape; but the differences are many and varied. The 49 has two eccentric levers, one is to disengage the anti-reverse. It has a two-screw stand. The 149 has two trim rings on the left, inner and outer, and one on the right, inner. The 249 looks like a knuckle-buster, has no trim rings, but came with an optional anti-reverse(?). Does that mean that those with the AR just have a ratchet on the sleeve and a dog on the bridge that the others do not? Why didn't they make this AR standard like every other reel in 1957? The 349 came in C, H and HC models and is a more heavily-constructed reel with a 3-screw stand, a one-piece chromed cast bronze spool, and lugs. There were 2.5:1 and 3.5:1 gear ratios. I've seen 349's with two eccentric levers as in the 49, and also with only one. I have yet to master the differences between models of the 49, 149, 249 and 349C, 349H and 349HC.

Can someone help me understand the variety of features in such similarly-shaped reels with different functions? It's late, and it's hurting my brain to try to understand this. Mike's books and PennParts are my only resources here, and Mike purposely doesn't go into detail on all these permutations and combinations that all look so similar.

I only have a 49 to date. I find that the best way to understand Penn reels and their differences is to hold them in my hands... but I only have one of the series.... It really helped me to understand the Long Beach series when I laid all the different models down next to each other to compare width and plate sizes, as well as plate design (picture or plain, etc). I don't want to buy 5 more reels so that I can understand the differences between them.... I'll probably eventually end up with the whole series, but I have to pace myself buying.

Sid

Thanks in advance.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Keta

349 and 349H parts are 100% interchangeable.

Here's a photo of a 15-349 and a 15-349LH.

Mark Twain

Keta

Photo of 349 and 349H gears, I have the yoks and pinion gears mixed up.  Right main gear, left pinion and yoke are 349.  The drag stack on the right is stock 349 with one R&D SS washer.

Mark Twain

sdlehr

Thanks for posting these pics, Lee. That is helpful. Rudy (RowdyW) just left my house after a couple hours of visit and he had brought his 149 and 349 over and I actually held them in my hands and was able to study them, but we didn't crack them open. Interesting how different the AR dogs you pictured are between the RH and LH models.... I guess if Penn made a LH head plate instead of putting LH parts in the RH head plate the dogs would be the same shape.... I'm starting to wrap my head around this series of reels. Thank you.

Sid
Sid Lehr

surfcaster

Just wanted to post pics of my 2 349h bottom fishing machines , that have been collecting dust ever since the Feds closed the local fishing jefferies ledge /gulf of maine fishing grounds in new england...

[   

The left is a smooth drag 5+1 9/0 drag stack yo-yo's  20oz jigs 2-300 ft down & has filled many coolers.  & On the right has a larger diameter/ more washer custom Keta 7 drag stack. probably gonna have to wait the ban out or book a halibut trip to alaska to try out.  Semper Fi,Richie                                                                                                         

Ishman 306

Is the left drag stack factory 349H?  Getting into mine now, but haven't gotten to the drag yet.  If not factory, can you expand on the details of the stack, part number, etc?

Quote from: Keta on April 09, 2016, 04:36:44 AM
Photo of 349 and 349H gears, I have the yoks and pinion gears mixed up.  Right main gear, left pinion and yoke are 349.  The drag stack on the right is stock 349 with one R&D SS washer.