349 Master Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Albert, your red 349 looks like it has a wide Wahoo Special frame and spool. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, in your defense you did put 1956/57 on the envelope you sent the catalog back in. You were right all along and I was just feeding off your observations. Of course you knew it was '57 from the 349 intro. You are still the professor and we are all wanna be graduates of your class......if that's even possible  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I think it would be a good thing to have a picture of the catalog introduction for each model......for every one of the Penn model threads that Sid posted.

Nope, no graduates. We are all Pennheads here.

A introduction catalog scan of every model Penn made. That would certainly be a project. Scan every introduction for every model, shrink them to a upload size for Photobucket and then copy and paste them here. I may have to plan that for a future time. No way I would have time for that now.

Makule

You are probably correct.  The guy I got the reels from described all the upgrades, but I didn't pay too much attention.  I just knew they were a good deal so I got them.  Of course, after getting them, they just sit in the cabinet drawer, but at least not collecting dust.  Just waiting for a better home.

Quote from: George4741 on September 10, 2016, 04:56:11 AM
Albert, your red 349 looks like it has a wide Wahoo Special frame and spool. 
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

JRD

The thread on Lee Pro hooked me so I bought one, now to find the drag washers.  In that thread it was mentioned they are similar to the 349.  Sooo of course I have Master Mariners on the mind and see this in Longfin's case today during their event.  Now being obsessive I had to buy it.  Funny thing is the Tib frame has an engraved name and an applique name, going in opposite directions.  Hmmmm?  AND it was 20% off.  Not sure what I will do with it but I got one.

Bill B

That's a good looking reel brother. Only thing to do is fish it ;D. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

diamonddave

scored a 349 on ebay today waiting to get it from the picture on the listing looks like a good one.  Dave

Bill B

Cool beans Dave....make sure to post some pictures....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

Hi, All !
       I just received a 349HC (e-bay purchase) today, and couldn't resist having a peek inside. I removed the wire line, and backing, removed the handle, and thought I'd take a look at the drags...and that's where I started getting a bit "confused" ???!  The reel has obviously just been serviced, and new drags installed, but the way they have it "stacked"  ::)! Starting at the main gear, there are two (2) CF washers, then a (what appears to be stainless)keyed washer, then two more CF, and "eared" washer, then two more CF, then the last "keyed" washer.....then the rest of the components...the heavy "thrust" type washer, a wave, the spacer, another wave, the star, and finally the handle. I don't understand what 2 CF washers are doing, right next to one another ???, and then to do that three times ?...were the "original" drag washers very thick leather ,and they needed to "use up some space, or what ?
    I see that drag parts are no longer available from Scott's, and from the schematic, it appears the original was a "three stack" set-up.....is it possible to "5 stack this reel ?, and what do I need for metals (I assume e-bay !), to do it. These metals are all quite "thick", and I doubt , even by reducing the CF's to just 5 (instead of 6), that I have room to get both the needed "eared"washers in the gear. Does anyone make a 5-stack "kit"...or thinner metal washers for this reel ? Or, should I just forget "5", and go back to "3", and use a longer spacer ?...............Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

OOPS !  I should have added that the "ears" on the eared washer, wouldn't allow it to be removed from "outside"...I had to loosen the bridge screws....could this gear / washer set up be from a larger reel. maybe ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

The double CF washers are to fill in the space the old thick asbestos washers took up.  On the high speed 349's the ears hit the sides of the hole, your washers are right.

Smooth Drag has a 5 washer drag upgrade kit (.045" metal washers)  for the 349H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

jigmaster501

Does anyone have any stainless yokes around for a 349H?????

I am building one for the frame and spool I got from Randy...

Thanks

Eugene

mikeysm

Sorry no stainless yokes. The 349h has very few parts that it shares with other reels. So you have to stay with brass. If you need one JD Treasures should have one on ebay.

Crow

mikeysm

Use the 113h stainless gear sleeve. Then talk to Lee for the stainless dogs.