349 Master Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

OK, Thanks....Actually, I want to build one of those "Super 49's"...using the 349 bridge, and I planned on using the 113H stainless sleeve, that's why I figured I'd better have a stainless dog, as well. It *looks like* (haven't done any measuring, just reading through that thread, and lots of "eye balling")the 349 dog will have to be 'filled' a bit, to fit the smaller diameter of the 113H "cog wheel", if I want both the notches on the dog to seat correctly. I have several expensive (to me, at least !) "mods" going on right now...and 'll have to save my pennies, and get a few parts at a time......I'll need to save for fuel money, to "go south" this winter, as well ! It took a big jump, after the hurricane, and has been "easing " higher, ever since. Thanks again !.......Crow
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I scored a deal on a 349H that looked pretty clean on the outside, but when I opened it up it had some light corrosion so I opted for a vinegar bath to neutralize the greenery. I wanted to keep this reel original so the brake lining drags stayed in place, but I did buy washers for a carbon fiber 5-stack if it ever leaves the shelf.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Very nice end result Mo

These reels are a tank right outta the box

Cool factoid about this model....it has 2 post screws for each harness lug and only other conventional Penns with these beefy lugs are 14/0 & 16/0
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Nice find Mo, Great looking reel and the price was ridiculous. That is one beefy reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

Good score !  And a great job on cleaning it up, too !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Hi Mike, you have restored that 349, really good, nice work, they are a very strong reel, love mine, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Penn Chronology

I have always felt that the Model 349 is a tank right out of the factory. The soft parts of the drag stack is built up out of heavy asbestos (IMHO) washers. They may be considered hazardous material; but, in terms of dealing with friction and heat, they are kind of hard to beat.

Keta

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 17, 2018, 02:56:18 PM
The soft parts of the drag stack is built up out of heavy asbestos (IMHO) washers.

They tended to dry out and get brittle and did not like oil but for a "old" material it was good.  The 5 CF drag stack is a major improvement.  The 7 washer drags worked well to but I think the thicker metal washers of a 5 washer set is best.

I am putting together a LNOB 349 together, Like New Out of (parts) Boxes, together and am searching for a stock set of metal and asbestos washers.  

I also need to dig out the like new 349 rings I gave away and get them in the mail.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

From my personal experience, it isn't easy to find a "new in box" 349. These reels were bought by people who intended to use them. I think I recall finding a 349hc new in the box, so I did some digging and sure enough there it was.....and still new in the box (transition box from 1960)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteFrom my personal experience, it isn't easy to find a "new in box" 349. These reels were bought by people who intended to use them. I think I recall finding a 349hc new in the box, so I did some digging and sure enough there it was.....and still new in the box (transition box from 1960)

Nice. That is a strange box. I never saw that type. The catalog is a late 1950's book.

AC49

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 18, 2018, 07:00:42 PM
QuoteFrom my personal experience, it isn't easy to find a "new in box" 349. These reels were bought by people who intended to use them. I think I recall finding a 349hc new in the box, so I did some digging and sure enough there it was.....and still new in the box (transition box from 1960)

Beautiful reel there Ted !
I see the postal code on the box is "PHILADELPHIA, PA, 19132"
I see the postal code on the catalog is "PHILADELPHIA 32, PA"

Nice. That is a strange box. I never saw that type. The catalog is a late 1950's book.

Mike is that normal or is the catalog and the box a postal code mismatch ? I was under the impression that the blue and white boxes from Penn with the metal corners started in 1960 yet the catalog #21 was from 1958 when the 349HC cost $29.

Regards
AC49

swill88

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 15, 2018, 11:33:05 PM

Very nice end result Mo

These reels are a tank right outta the box

Cool factoid about this model....it has 2 post screws for each harness lug and only other conventional Penns with these beefy lugs are 14/0 & 16/0

Don't forget 113MTL.
Thanks Dan! thanks Dom!

AC49

Here is a blue and white box with "PHILADELPHIA 32, PA"

Regards
AC49

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike is that normal or is the catalog and the box a postal code mismatch ? I was under the impression that the blue and white boxes from Penn with the metal corners started in 1960 yet the catalog #21 was from 1958 when the 349HC cost $29.

Regards
AC49

Postal Codes fall into that questionable category. The official date for the USPS Postal Code change was July 1, 1963. The two number Zone Code was done and the Zip Code became the new way. That in no way means businesses threw out all their pre-printed matter. As it is with everything else, there was a transition time.
                If I had to guess about the box and catalog that Ted pictured, I would say that the box is late 1960's and the catalog is a 1958 edition. I doubt if the package left the factory that way, they simply wound up together by the fact that anyone can put any catalog in any box.
                That box probably should never have left the factory; but, many things happen in the world of Penn reels that do not fit the realm of normal. The Blue and White flip top boxes are generally thought to have begun in 1960; but, again, it is not written in stone. I feel that there were probably early and late releases of some models.

AC49

Thanks again Mike and thanks Ted for sharing  :)