27, 27M Monofil

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Lou, those look great! I'm also a fan of the smaller reels as Squidders, Monofil and Surfmasters. Oh I almost forgot the 9, 109,10...you know what? I just realized I like them all ;D

Your custom knobs really set them off. Most give you a great feeling being able to create your own little treasure.

Very nice Lou.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Thank you Sal! You have been the inspiration for some of my work as well as many others here and its appreciated!

It all looks like we're on the same boat, but we don't need help, do we ???

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

broadway

Now I know where all the monofils went, lol. Love the dressed up ones with your handles ...it adds a little panache to a Monofil. ;)
Beauties Lou!
Dom

Bill B

Very impressive Lou.....plugs, handles, and Monofils.......what else do you have up your sleeve  ???....Thank you for sharing brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

Hello,

I picked up this reel a few years back and was wondering if anybody could give an approximate age of when it may have been built by Penn. This was a garage sale find and the reel was not fully stock. The reel came with a Newell spool and I installed Carbontex drag washers.

I know it is hard to see as I took these pics inside at night but the reel is a chocolate brown color which I assume is bakelite. The reel has the usual steel pinion gear but also has a steel main as well. When did Penn go from a steel main to brass in the Monofil's, and could this help date the reels age?

Also you can see in the pics where I changed the stock handle to a 24-65. I made this change because I still fish this reel when feeling nostalgic and slap it onto my California Tackle Co., Super Sabre rod.

Anyway if someone could help me narrow down the age of this reel it would be much appreciated. I don't need the age of the CN spool or new handle as I have a pretty good idea about these.

This last pic shows the reel with the stock handle by its side, if this helps?

Bill B

The best I can give you is Post 1954, when they were introduced....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Quote from: TARFU on January 15, 2017, 04:56:59 PM
The best I can give you is Post 1954, when they were introduced....Bill
I'll go with that.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I believe this reel was produced with unique bright Maroon coloramic side plates from 1955-57, then they went back to dark brown and finally black.  This suggests the reel was produced post 1957.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 15, 2017, 06:52:20 AM
The reel has the usual steel pinion gear but also has a steel main as well. When did Penn go from a steel main to brass in the Monofil's, and could this help date the reels age?

Now there's a question many have asked. Actually, I'm not sure brass ever even followed steel. I've seen many instances where both were manufactured side by side. I've seen instances where the brass preceded the steel. I may be all wet here...but I'm thinking gear material was more a choice of manufacturing cost than anything else. The only two agreed facts about gears are:
                                                         1. Steel is stronger
                                                        2. Brass is smoother

I use both types depending on which characteristic better serves my needs.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on January 16, 2017, 12:19:22 PM
The reel has the usual steel pinion gear but also has a steel main as well. When did Penn go from a steel main to brass in the Monofil's, and could this help date the reels age?

Now there's a question many have asked. Actually, I'm not sure brass ever even followed steel. I've seen many instances where both were manufactured side by side. I've seen instances where the brass preceded the steel. I may be all wet here...but I'm thinking gear material was more a choice of manufacturing cost than anything else. The only two agreed facts about gears are:
                                                         1. Steel is stronger
                                                        2. Brass is smoother

You nailed it Mo. I've witnessed the same things you described. I have a long beach from the 40's with brass main and pinion, go figure.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on December 30, 2016, 01:46:47 PM
Dan, I know I need help. But, the fact that I'm aware of it makes it all OK ??? Correct ;D.

I also have a few unique Monofil customs that I've been working on for over a year. Hopefully I'll finish them soon and post them up. They're real lookers!

All the best,  ..  Lou

Depends who you ask Lou, but I'm thinking we don't see those on the market anymore cause you own em all. Nice going, and please post up the customs your building.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 16, 2017, 07:11:33 PM
Quote from: mo65 on January 16, 2017, 12:19:22 PM

1. Steel is stronger
                                                        2. Brass is smoother

You nailed it Mo. I've witnessed the same things you described. I have a long beach from the 40's with brass main and pinion, go figure.

When I am just building reels for folks to use -- and not collect -- I use one steel and one brass.

An older gentleman tackle master I learned much from in my younger days always taught me to do this -- it is smoother and quieter, because of the harder and softer gear meshing, and he would generally go with a steel pinion and brass main (the pinion turns many times faster than the main, is smaller, and cheaper.  Old school logic that has served me well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 16, 2017, 08:03:49 PM
Hey, on the LB 60, I have one I'm working on and can use your help. Its going to have a Tib frame that I got from Randy Pauly. It actually fits a 2/0 frame and its a rare bird made for HI's (special). Randy says he's only seen 2 of them and this may be a one of a kind custom build.

No kiddin?...a 2/0 Tib frame?? You're killin' me Lou! :o

I've been thinking about dating SoCal's 27 and there really is no way to narrow it down to less than the dark brown side plate era. No matter if it's a '58 or a '75...it's a great lookin' Monofil 27! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Superhook

I do not want to hijack the thread .  I bought a rare Penn #27 box for a Left Hand reel .

I am after a LH Head plate for a Magenta #27 failing that a Maroon #27LH Head Plate. I know that there have been Green #26 reels but I have not seen a LH #27 in my searches.
I guess there must have been one some time to fit this box.

If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. Thanks, Ray.

coastal_dan

Ray - There was a LH 27 Pink/Fuschia for sale on eBay a few weeks back, not sure if it ever sold.  It did not have the LH on the side plate though.  Let me see if I can find it...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...