9, 9M, 9F, 9S, 9MF, 9MS, 9-LH, 9M-LH Peerless Monofil

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Were the Penn 9 and 109 the smallest reels Penn ever made?  Smallest frame, smallest spool?  Thanks.
-steve

mo65

I'm not sure which model is smallest...but the smallest in my collection is the Levelmatic.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Thanks Mo.  That's good to know.  I've never held a Levelmatic and thought they were larger.
-steve

mo65

Here's the Levelmatic and 109 side by side...not much difference...but the Levelmatic is smaller. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

And the 910 / 920 Levelmatics were the narrowest, also.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

WDill

While taking the wife shopping for antiques happened to look down on a bottom shelf and saw a Penn Box full of reel parts. Looked at one of the side plates and  it was a peerless 9. There were actually two reels worth of parts in the box. it was 10 bucks so I figured what can I lose. Below is what I ended up with. Box, 2 reels, 26B catalogue and wrench.
Wish I were fishing

WDill

2 hours later after cleaning and assembling one peerless 9MF complete with box, catalogue, wrench and bag of spare parts. Probably only worth what I paid for it but it was fun to put back together.

Catalogue was copyrighted in 1965. I will assume the reels are from the same vintage.

Didn't bother taking the white Dacron off, it was still in pretty good shape.
Wish I were fishing

foakes

Nice reels, nice combo, nice work!

I straightened the pics for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

WDill

Fred,

I think I just messed up the pics again. I will keep hands off now if you would like to try again.
Wish I were fishing

WDill

Wish I were fishing

foakes

No sweat —

I have the same issue when I take photos with my iPhone — they often come out sideways or upside down.

When I use my iPad or digital camera — no problems, and no need for alignment rotation.

Let us know what parts you might be missing for the other "9" — should be able to send some your way, N/C.

You might as well have two working 9's.

I use these for trolling in our High Sierra lakes for trout.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Porthos

oc1

The original owner was pretty hip.  Matching knobs.  Love those things. 

-steve

WDill

Thanks guys, This project has been a lot of fun. So far I have found that I am missing 1 pinion gear, 1 dog spring, and as Porthos said, 1 line guide. The amazing thing is I went to mystic parts and almost every part for this reel is still available. It must have been one of the more popular reels.

I will probably set this one up for my wife, It was made (at least according to the catalog copyright) the same year she was born.

Bill
Wish I were fishing