109, 109M, 109F, 109S, 109MF, 109MS, 109-LH, 109M-LH Peer Monofil

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sharkman

Love these little reels.  Here is my 109 that I added a custom knob. Sorry for those who already seen the pictures.

akfish

Doesn't the big knob make casting your 109 difficult? With no free spool, the handle turns when you cast or let out line...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

Gotta 109M. The direct drive aspect keeps me from tryin to cast it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sharkman

Haven't got to try casting yet, but the knob is really small

Crow

I "was gifted" a couple 109's, ...in pieces.....and I have a couple questions about this one. I'm "assuming" that it's a fairly "old" one...plastic spool, black in color, and has a "hex head" on the level wind bearing. Anyway, can someone confirm that it IS an older issue ? The other one is red in color,.....and has some "ID numbers" scratched into the plate!....,and has a metal spool. Both reels show little , if any , corrosion, A lot of the screws are "missing in action" , as well as one stand. The stand I have is marked "30-109S", and I *think* it's for the "red" reel ? Can anyone confirm that ?.......thanks
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

I "think" the S on the stand means saltwater. Sorry but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Yes, that handle on the black reel has the older style knobs, indicating it to be an early 109. G is right...the "s" is for saltwater stand...and there was an "f" for freshwater. It's a safe bet the numbered stand goes with the red reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

Here's a pair of 1942 first year 109 reels. 1942 was the only year the reels had the anti-backlash control. Knob is adjustable and located on the head plate.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

xjchad

Nice reels Chris!  I love the handles!

Didn't know they ever had any type of backlash control, I'd love to see the inner workings of that!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

1badf350

Chad the adjustment screw pushes in and out on this (felt?rubber?) knob, which rubs the inside of the plastic spool. This causes constant friction. I can see why it was discontinued.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

wfjord

Those are particularly nice looking 109s.  I'm fond my two old 109s.

54bullseye

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

That is an interesting casting control. Good score on that pair !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !