209, 209M, 209-LH, 209M-LH Peer Monofil Sr.

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

festus

Does anyone have a Penn 209 nearby to give me a couple of dimensions?

I've never held one in my hand or even seen one to my knowledge.  The weight, line capacity, and gear ratio are online on several sites.

What I need is the diameter of the side plates and distance between the left side ring and right side ring.  Just want to size one up, I have a few rods that could handle this little classic.

Deepennz

Hi, Festus,

Here are the measurements you are after - Diameter of side plate = 3.08" - 78.2mm
                                                               Internal width             =2.09" - 53.28mm

Great little reels - go for it!!

Cheers
Martin

festus

Thanks, Martin.  So it's similar in size to my old Penn No. 79, a little wider, but just a tad smaller diameter side plates. Of course the 209 is built much more heavy duty and includes a level wind, star drag and anti-reverse.

I understand it's very similar internally to a Penn Peerless 9, so I shouldn't have any problems servicing one of these.

thorhammer

Same just bigger.  Great reels in certain applications. The 210 Mag looks the same from a few feet away but had ball bearings and 4:1 retrieve with Jigmaster size drags. The 209 can be found cheaply and is still on production as far as parts go. Won't win a casting contest but if you get one with aluminum spool you might coax a hundred out of it if set up correctly.   Otherwise, a sturdy workhorse for 25 lb line on a med heavy rod for catfish, stripers etc.   

mo65

I got an education today while tearing down a 50's model 209. This thing actually has posts with countersunk ends...they slip through the rings instead of sitting on top of them! Of all the 209s I've torn apart, I've never come across this before.  ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

I believe those years of catalogs made reference to the "new solid one piece frame"....but the seat is same as any other 209, just the posts are countersunk into the rings. It was a mid 50's mid life crisis for the 209, then they went back to standard posts
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reel 224

Penn 209 rehab...............Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Penn 209 & 210 just finished

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Great work, Joe —

Looks like you have these down cold 🥶.

Folks ask me what Penn reels to train on —

I have always said to do a couple of LB's — a few times — until they go together almost with your eyes closed. 

Then do some 209's or 309's with their extra LW components — until these become second nature as to the procedure for easily installing the LW components in proper order.

Then, any other conventional Penn is a piece of cake.

Good job!  They look fantastic!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Good job Joe! They could be a pain if not set just right. I'm sure yours are in top shape.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Till my eyes bleed  :o ;) ;D ;D these are the forth ones I worked on so far, believe me I'm not an expert. There were some #$%^& words in the process, but I'm still learning to keep off the ropes. Thanks for the kind words.

Joe