85 Seaboy

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USN_ED

Quote from: sdlehr on April 11, 2016, 12:59:09 AM
Quote from: sdlehr on April 10, 2016, 11:20:15 PM
Hey Basto, my 285 Delmar has everything numbered except the tail plate bushing...
I just noticed that my 85 has an oil port on the handle side bushing; I guess it's not original...?? ?

Sid

My 85 Seaboy not only has an oil port on the handle side bushing, it has a "GREASE" port on the handle side side plate.  Sorry it's not real clear but you can see it at the end of the crooked, red, arrow.  You can even make out the word "GREASE" above it.  Photography is not my forte.

I have no clue how old this reel is what with the grease port and oil port on the handle side and stippling on both the head plate and tail plate.  There is no oil port on the bushing on the tail plate side.

It's an all original reel - plastic spool and all.  I'm thinking of putting a 29L-85 aluminum spool in it if Scott's will let me have one.

ED

Penn Chronology

QuoteCan anyone tell me approximately what year this 85M SEABOY was made?

Hello Basto,

Interesting question, especially with the pictures of the reel and box. First I want to say that the Penn 85M model was not made after 1966, or at least no longer mentioned in the catalogs after 1966. Making your metal reel no later than 1966; but, there is a tell on the box. If you look at the address on the box label it shows a Zone code rather than a Zip code. Which means the box is a 1962 or older box. Zip codes started in 1963 and Penn did change their box addresses to Zip codes.

To me the reel looks newer than the box as that style chrome plated spool is a product of the late 1970's; but, according to the catalogs, the Sea Boy was not offered with a metal spool in the late 1970's. So this reel may be altered.

I believe the reel and the box went to different schools together........................... ::)

I believe you said that there is a catalog also and that catalog is a 32B, which is a 1969 catalog. All the paperwork does here is to further confuse an already confusing situation. ??? ???

basto

Hi Michael
Reminds me of one of those "lucky dip" bags from sideshow alley when I was a kid. Thanks for your reply.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

Here are some pics of another 85 I have. I have a lot of respect for these 85 reels.
First pic is the before cleanup pic.

With regard to the photo of the modified stand foot, I have seen this modification before. There must have been a rod that had a projection post or bolt that required this mod. 
I think this reel is all original, but then I never know for sure.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

ReelFishingProblems

I got an old 85 from my mother-in-law's house, it has a small wooden handle and almost completely corroded on all chrome covered brass parts. One thing that confused me was the main gear and pinion that look like stainless steel. What were the original gears made of on these? I can't imagine anyone put an upgraded gear set in just to let it rot in a coffee shack garage.

Nick

RowdyW

The main gear is heat treated steel & the pinion could also be heat treated steel or stainless. More then likely they are the original parts.     Rudy