190 Light Tackle Bay reel; Bay-Star

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

George4741

Here's a link to a Penn 190 on ebay.  The reel appears to have 190 sideplates and a wider spool.  The wider spool isn't surprising, as people often install wider spools and reel feet on their Penns.  What surprises me is that this reel has a star drag, unlike any 190 I'm aware of.  Your thoughts, anyone?   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262487042028?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Hey George! You old codger! Good to see you! ;D
That looks like a frankenreel with some 200 parts on it. Check out the spool.
Life is Good!

mhc

Hi George - good to see you back on deck.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tightlines667

George that is a 190 - "BayStar" as opposed to the 190 - "Light Tackle Bay Reel".

It is in essence the same reel, but the name changed ca. 1952/53 when it was offered with (190S) and without (190) a saltwater stand.  The listed reel is post 1954/55, when it was first offered with the star drag(190), Saltwater stand (190S), with a larger 150yd capacity Metal Spool (190M), or metal spool and saltwater stand (190MS).  Your reel appears to be a postwar 1954, 190M.  Part numbers confirm post ca. 1950 as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

George4741

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 17, 2016, 06:14:43 AM
George that is a 190 - "BayStar" as opposed to the 190 - "Light Tackle Bay Reel".

Thanks for the info.  I've never heard of that version of the 190. 

Daron and Mike, thanks for rolling out the welcome mat. It's good to be back.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

It is in essence the same reel, but the name changed ca. 1952/53 when it was offered with (190S) and without (190) a saltwater stand.  The listed reel is post 1954/55, when it was first offered with the star drag(190), Saltwater stand (190S), with a larger 150yd capacity Metal Spool (190M), or metal spool and saltwater stand (190MS).  Your reel appears to be a postwar 1954, 190M.  Part numbers confirm post ca. 1950 as well.

Posted on: June 16, 2016, 08:54:01 PM
Posted by: mhc 

Great piece of info John. You are correct. The 190 and 180 shared catalog space until 1958 when the 190 was discontinued completely. In the late 1950's the 190 was made with or without a star wheel. Plastic spool 190's were still made without a drag or anti-reverse; but, the metal spool versions were basically just like the 180.

George4741

So, is this reel the correct width for a Bay Star 190?  It has a Surfmaster 200 spool.  I would think a Bay Star 190 would have the same width spool as a 180/185.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262487042028?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo, is this reel the correct width for a Bay Star 190?

No, this is a Frankenreel. The spool, bars and stand do not belong with the side plates. You are correct in saying a 190 is the size of a 180 / 185. The plates are interchangeable with the 160 and 155 parts. This reel has been modified with improper parts for this Model number. But,,,, it will fish fine.

George4741

Michael,
Thank you for the info.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

Quote from: George4741 on June 25, 2016, 02:12:40 AM
Michael,
Thank you for the info.
George

You are welcome..... ;D

oc1

I wanted an original style 190 to fish with and got this one because it was cheap and I liked the old wooden knob.  Maybe you get what you pay for.

When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was that someone had painted all the external metal with metallic-like paint and the bakelite was painted black.  Maybe a kid did it.  That's what I would have done with an old second hand reel when I was a kid.

I like to clean up the inside and keep the honest external wear, patina and baked-on grunge.  But, that paint had to go.  It was disassembled and put in a sonic cleaner with Simple Green while I tried to figure out if paint striper would dissolve bakelite.  I was worried about losing detail in the embossed tail plate. Paint striper does not dissolve bakelite, but the striper was not needed because all the paint just fell off in the sonic cleaner. It was amazing.

But, with the axel grease gone I found that there is a chunk of head plate broken off by the eccentric.  But, the eccentric still works... for now.  That's pretty amazing too.  I also realized that the four screws on the stand are probably replacements.  They have a modern cut and more chrome in the alloy.

I like the looks of crusty corrosion.

It works fine.  I should have photographed the spring under the cast control knob because it is really beefy and has to be cranked way down to slow the spool enough to cast.  Can't wait to go fishing.

-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on October 22, 2016, 07:58:15 AM
When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was that someone had painted all the external metal with metallic-like paint and the bakelite was painted black.  Maybe a kid did it.  That's what I would have done with an old second hand reel when I was a kid.

I bet that reel was the envy of the pier for a few weeks...'til his paint started chipping off...LOL! I too was a master of spray can restoration as a kid...that may be one of my Picassos.:D Nice job bringin' her back Steve. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

Seems like the star drag Penn 190 is alive and well in the modern era, although it also seems like it has been confused with the Penn 85!.

Tbrom

I picked up an older 190. It is not a prom queen by any stretch. I doubt I will ever fish it but I would like to get the spool that most likely came with it to make it period correct. I am assuming it should be a plastic spool? I am guessing it's a 1940s reel. Thanks Tim