Senator 111 (2/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: rippin_lips on July 06, 2017, 02:32:18 PM
Are there any frames or bars to upgrade this reel with? I just picked one up and I want to spice it up a little. Thanks.
I don't think so...
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Actually, with the (6) posts and (6) screws in the stand -- for a total of 18 frame screws -- these are pretty capable little reels as is.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Fred's right, the extra posts and 6 screw stand make this reel a candidate for a little more muscle under the hood. The #5-66 main gear allows room for a 5-stack drag, and a steel gear sleeve would be a nice addition too. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Thanks Mo, for your comments, what percentage of baking soda to water, do you recommend, thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 07, 2017, 12:04:46 AM
Thanks Mo, for your comments, what percentage of baking soda to water, do you recommend, thanks, cheers Don.

Actually Don, I like to just dump straight baking soda on the parts before the rinse. Put the vinegar soaked parts and a splash of the vinegar in a bowl. Then dump on the baking soda. As it bubbles and pops brush the parts, then rinse with clean water. The parts will be clean and neutralized...no more green. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

rippin_lips

good to hear that these reels should be good without the addition of a frame.  I'm cleaning up everything now and deciding on the path forward.  I will definitely get the drag washers updated, it needs a better handle, and possibly add a stainless sleeve.  Are there aluminum spools available for these?

thorhammer

mhc

It seems Tiburon made a few hundred 2/0 frames some time ago - it was discussed here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12543.0
The thread raised some discussion about the need to improve on the std 2/0 post and stand frame given the reels limitations.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bill B

Question.....did the 2/0 come with both scalloped and slotted screws for the free spool lever?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on February 03, 2018, 08:17:38 PM
Question.....did the 2/0 come with both scalloped and slotted screws for the free spool lever?   Bill

Yes Bill, the 2/0 and 3/0 had both types of hardware for the shift lever

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

George6308

There is a seller on flee bay who has stainless cross bars. Cheaper than factory and will not corrode. Mc Master has the SS 5-40 filister head screws.