Senator 115, 115-LH, 115L, 115L-LH (9/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 24, 2016, 04:18:51 PM
1st gen--LH ?

I wish it was a lefty Mike.

All 1st gen 9/0 were internal access drags. This 1st generation 9/0 has external drag access. It also has the newer logo that started in the late 30's. This reel is also 100% original, right down to the frame posts. TARFU nailed it !!

Here is a few comparison pics. Pic 1 shows first year 9/0 next to the last year for 1st gen configuration and next to it is the first year of 2nd generation.

Log nob in 2nd row is 1st gen 9/0 with external drag access, but it was Otto's test reel and at that time was still in the prototype stage.

2nd pic represents last of 1st gen(reel on left), and first year of 2nd gen.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

Ted, as per the catalog, the 9/0 went to externally access drags in 1940.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 25, 2016, 02:54:11 AM
Ted, as per the catalog, the 9/0 went to externally access drags in 1940.

....and as per #9 catalog, the 2nd generation 9/0 begins in 1941  ;D ;D. So few external access first gen 9/0's found so far suggests that not many were made in 1st gen configuration....(note I did not say "assume")  ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Ted you have a way with words.  Good semantics.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rothmar2

Just got given this one to clean up and restore by a client. He is curious to know roughly how old it is. Sleeve is at 7 o'clock.
The posts have the chrome flaking off. Anyone know what the UNC screw size is for these (post only)? I have some 316 stainless rod to suit, and it wouldn't take me long to knock up a new set if I can get the correct tap.

Thanks in advance.

RowdyW

The tap size is 8-40 the same as the 114 6/0 & 114H.  That's the later model with ball bearings & aluminum spool.  The posts are identical to a 114HLW.         Rudy

Bill B

Rudy your knowledge of the small details never ceases to amaze me...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

Thanks Bill, I'm just glad that I can still amaze someone.  :D       Rudy

Rothmar2

Thanks Rudy for the thread size.
I'm guessing, possibly 1980's manufacturing period for this one?

Shark Hunter

I would say later, Probably 90's at the earliest.
The bearing design started in 89.
With the Aluminum spool and bearings, I would date it 1990.
Poor girl, Looks like she has been rode hard and hung up wet. ;)
I'm sure you will amaze us with her rebirth.
Nothing like a Classic Penn. I love them. :-*
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

All done for now. I added an extra dog (alternating) and shimmed under the sleeve. All external parts have been rubbed with dubbin wax for now, until I get the SS posts made. The reel mechanically was faultless. Carbon drags given some Cal's, the metals were given a Lapp to true them up. Most of the work was in cleaning all the chrome with vinegar, rinsing with fresh, then buffing with a calico wheel in the drill, with a light amount of polish.
Clean all internals, and full grease prep after. Bearings soaked in Corrosion X, great free-spool.
 This reel is ready again for anything that Tassie waters can throw at it.

mhc

Great work reviving that neglected workhorse. Is rubbing in the dubbin all you did to the plates? They have come up really well.
There are stainless (not sure what grade) posts available from fishingreels79 on ebay if you want to save yourself some time with the replacement posts, but if you have the SS rod, lathe and the skill that you have it's probably not cost-effective after you add postage to aus with the paypal conversion rate.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rothmar2

Hi Mike,

Just washed off the salt layer from the plates with some slightly watered down vinegar, then rinse with fresh water. Dried them out in the sun, and then rubbed the dubbin in. Did two coats.
Then there's a little grease etc from assembling, rub that in too! That's pretty much it.
Will probably stick with making the rods, got to order the tap still.