Senator 116, 116-LH, 116L, 116L-LH (12/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cuttyhunker

Looking for some info on an old girl from gramps, has the counterweighted handle forward of the mid-line, free spool lever aft, one set of lugs and is loaded with twisted linen.  Not really for sale but interested in value and vintage. Functions fine. Thanks
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

Sounds first gen. Without pics we cannot assign an accurate value
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Cuttyhunker

Here it is
Doomed from childhood

Swami805

Looks like a 1st generation to me from the handle position. Nice one. Wouldn't mind a few pics of the rod too,any decals or markings on it?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Here are some shots of the rod, no markings
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Rod is 82 1/4", the groove at the base parallel to not at right angles with the guides, very fine threads on real seat, 1/16" ruler in background and the seat is relieved for the foot of the reel, cross section round. Any info appreciated
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

After doing a little homework on the Penn 12/0 I've learned mine is a 1937, first model year for this reel as there are no forward lugs, just the set on top.  In 38 going ahead the forward lugs were added to the 116.  The handle has been switched out to a torpedo for comfort, a  common practice with these reels, and with mine like most the wooden handle is lost. Thank you Mike C. for your research.
Doomed from childhood

steelfish

yay !!  I never knew a 116 12/0 belonged to the Penn Vintage section !!

Sid, do you have way to estimate the year this 12/0 was made?
The Baja Guy

1badf350

Thats a 60s and up model. Does anybody know when they switched the bearings?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"