Senator 117, 117-LH, 117L, 117-LH (14/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Here it is

Tightlines667

Looks to me like that is a later version second gen. Version reel with the 14/0 gear set/bridge assembly.  Gear is likely steel, 3-piece spool (with a mushroom pin on the arbor?).  Some numbered parts might put it in the 1948-54 range.  Handle appears correct for late 40s model.  It is definately in te ca. 1947-54ish period.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Nailed it on spool and gears. 

thorhammer

The build: new Tib Tbar, drag stack courtesy of Daron, which I hope brings him good karma on his own 117 next week, new 130lb, and a Thorhammer late night brace set because I'm impatient to order another.  Bent flat stock to proper curve around a shovel handle, radius drawn off nearest wd40 can, cut to proper size with sawzall then file and 1000 wet/dry. I have a guy that will powder coat my aluminum bits for free, may get them blacked out and get a new black clamp to match. Turned out pretty well for what John dates as a 70 year old reel... 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Thanks brotha, and thanks again for the help!!! This one's been hanging on the wall getting dusty for a long while, and looking at your heavy metal I figured she deserved a facelift and a new dress.

Tightlines667

Those are some serious rod braces there!

Be carefull spooling straight mono of those 3-piece spools thoigh.  They were designed for linen line and will spread/warp under pressure with mono lines.  I have heard they can be fished with Dacron though I would upgrade to a single piece spool from a bushing model if I was going to fish it myself.

John
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

John, those rod braces look better than stock, great idea.
About that counterbalanced handle, I checked all my catalogs, mine start at catalog#8 and up.
All show no counterbalanced handle on the 14/0 and 16/0 :-\

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Thanks folks!

John I did think about the mono situation; I despooled 1400 yds of 80 Dacron off of it yesterday.   If I happened on a one piece spool I'd replace it. Keep your eyes out. Aluminum would look nice with the powder coated bits...

Shark Hunter

That's going a tough find John. I bet you could find someone here to trade you for that three piece though.
Scott's list price for an aluminum one is $250.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I saw that price...I paid roughly $100 when I bought the reel so I'll take my chances; I'm going to bust a gut before I bust that spool in all likelihood.

Sal, I'm 240 but will be face down, drug in the sand before those braces even breath hard....

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 06, 2016, 12:10:59 AM

About that counterbalanced handle, I checked all my catalogs, mine start at catalog#8 and up.
All show no counterbalanced handle on the 14/0 and 16/0 :-\

Sal

Good point Sal.

Here are some pictures from Catalog 06&07 (1938&1939) same thing, maybe it's one of the oversize handles that were offered separately  (starting in 1939ish?)though I notice the 14/0 advertised length is less then the 12/0.. Likely indicating the 14/0 and 16/0 size handles were not offered in counterbalanced versions...

Its all very confusing since the early 14/0 & 16/0 reels had 12/0 guts, yet the catalog suggests they came with non counterbalanced handles.  The 12/0 was listed as having a 6 1/4" overall length..
is that the same as your handle?

BTW, the early nonnumbered 14/0 I owned from the same period, had a German silver non-counterbalanced handle, which I promptly transferred to my first gen 14/0.

Clear as mud.  More then likely it's a 12/0 handle that has been made to fit the 14/0.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Thor,
What is up with those turnbuckles? They look aluminum too.
First pics and last look different.
We need to talk.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Good eye, they are indeed aluminum :) the first pic is the stock brace kit.

I built up the whole brace package; eyehooks are SS!!!! I'm talking to my powder coat guy today and will do the turnbuckle sleeves as well as the brace itself in black; getting black anodized aluminum rod clamp to match. Unless Ted has one of his new clamps this size, that would kill it.  As I said I'm impatient so I hunted aluminum and SS turnbuckle bits (took a couple different ones to get the assembly I wanted as far as these buckles came with eyes instead of hooks and the hook style had larger, open buckles, so I Franken-buckled it lol) from local hardware stores and fabbed up the braces. That was actually a piece of bar stock I had for handle blanks to replace an Area Rule blade that stripped, but it was late and I couldn't find the 1/8" stock I got for the brace. I actually like these better, big boy toy for big boy reel. They scale to the reel nicely. I'm no machinist by any stretch and sometimes I try to do things just to see how simply they can be done with rudimentary tools, skill and local materials. no science to rounding a piece of stock but I learned the polishing right here on AT, and probably would never put in the time with the files and wet grit had I not seen the craftsmanship you guys do.

Ya'll will laugh but Thorhammer rods are built with a spool of thread sitting in a little cast iron skillet I used to melt lead in back when; I hand tension and lay every wrap. I use a lot of Trimar thread  and it's very twisty on a wrapper.

handi2

I just received this 14/0 from a frien who found it in a barber shop in Alabama.

It has a 6'9 Hammel custom built rod. It's a neat find. It was used for trolling with a spool full of what looks like 60lb monofilament line.

I'll get into the reel when I can pick it up to get to get it off!!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL