146, 146L Squidder

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

akadashoe

Greetings Sid, (and other old Penn aficionado's)

Sorry I missed the thread location.
Here's  a little jewel I picked up recently at a garage sale for a pretty sweet price. ($40)
It's a 146 L Squidder that the gal claimed belonged to her grandfather and was never used.
After I cracked it open, I found the pictured drag stack.
I believe I saw these green drag washers installed in a JM many moons ago, (possibly old Smoooth?)  but having CRS at my age, I may be wrong.
I was wondering if anyone could help me i.d. the vintage of this reel, and if it is all original or not.
The only thing that was missing from the box was the tube of Penn lube.

Thanks!

Shoe

Islandgypsy

I have one just like it ( with exception of Smoothy washers) I purchased new off the shelf in 1980. Same box and and reel. That 40B catalog places it same time period. That was a sweet deal you picked up for 40 bucks.       
Greg

sdlehr

Hi Shoe,

I actually think I can answer this one accurately!

My source for the answer is "The Chronological History of Penn Reels 1932-1957" by Michael Cacioppo (he's a member here and known as "Penn Chronology").  Chances are pretty good that if I answer a question here, that's where I got the information; the only other source that I know of is the Penn catalogs, and of them I haven't got a one. You've got catalog 40B, which I believe came out in 1977. Someone else will be by to verify or refute (I hope). Nice reel.

The Squidder 140 was born in 1939 and came with a spare spool. Your plastic spool should have the fins on the left side that act as an anti-backlash mechanism through air pressure maintained and directed within the reel's left side plate. Mike's book has several pages dedicated to the Squidder and an explanation of this Penn spool air brake. The Squidder 145 was introduced in 1949. I don't know when the Squidder 146 was introduced, other than after 1957, which is when Mike's book stops.

Sid

Sid Lehr

akadashoe

Thanks Guys!

So I'm guessing the reel is a late 70's early 80's model.
It doesn't have a speck of corrosion, "patina" "freckling" or other "brassing".
I really can't use this puppy, as I have 6 other 146's, so I may list it on the Flea.
Would I be mistaken to list it as "NIB", as I can't verify if the drags are original?
Any idea what might be an acceptable price range to ask?

One other thing, I got the new 29M spool for an extra $10!
That should sweeten the deal eh?   :D

Shoe

foakes

These drags are not original.

So it would not be NIB -- untouched, as came from the factory.

I would represent it as EWB -- Excellent, unused, with box, tools, and papers.  No exaggeration that way -- just the facts.

Good pics will take care of the rest -- all six sides and the insides, plus the box and stuff.

If it were mine, I would check eBay for completed auctions of similar condition reels.

If I thought ebay was an option -- I would start it at .99 with a BIN of $75.

Personally think you could net more by posting it here in the for sale section at $75.

After you do your research, it may bring more or less.

Final price is always your determination.

Just my thoughts,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Islandgypsy

So as not to confuse, rooted out a box of reels this afternoon and found the 146 Squidder I purchased new and found receipt ...purchased in 1990, not 1980. D'oh!  Has black side plates, previous models had red side plates...not sure when they went to black.     Greg

mikeysm

Those drag washers are made from Garlock gasket material. I use it at work for flange gaskets. It's high temp material. Problem is it gets hard and brittle after awhile.

Mike

doradoben

I didn't browse thru this until today. The section below is part of a page from Scotts B & T (Penn Parts). It is probably from one of the catalogs. The link to the page is posted below.

HISTORY:  
The 140 Squidder was the first of the Squidder-series created, and it's still manufactured today, albeit with new materials. The 1941 version of this reel featured a light weight plastic spool and a nickel-silver frame, and was also available as a left-handed model (confusingly, this left handed model was number 140L). In the late 80's the 140L was manufactured, featuring an aluminum spool, and the left handed model of this version became the 140L-LH.
The 145 Squidder was the second Squidder to enter the Squidder-series. In the early 60's this reel was manufactured for the first time, it was discontinued around 1980.
The 146 Squidder was the third and final Squidder to enter the Squidder-series. In the early 60's this reel was manufactured for the first time and was manufactured until Penn discontinued it in the year 2000. In 1985 the first light-weight aluminum spool versions became available, as model 146L.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSquidder.aspx#specs

Penn Chronology

Hello Guys, Let me try to clear a few dating problems.

First---Catalog 40B is a 1984 Copyright. It is dated on the inside of the cover page. "B" Type box catalogs are almost all dated. They also have a code on the back cover that will give you the month and year of issue.

Second---The Squidder reels are introduced as follows:

Squidder 140--1939--Penn Catalog #7

Squidder 145--1949--Penn Catalog #14

Squidder 146--1965--Penn Catalog #27

Using Scotts information will be misleading. They are the best Parts House for Penn Parts in the Country; but, their history has many mistakes.

sdlehr

Mike, how does 40B turn out to be '84? The formula has been (32 + catalog #)-3 for reels made after the war... so that would make the 40B about a '69 vintage... and I'm confused again... what else is new?

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

Sid,

I do not know where you got the formula from. I know it was not from me. As soon as you start believing you can logically figure out a formula to date Penn catalogs with, then you have lost the Dating Game.

The 40B catalog is a 1984 catalog because it is dated on the inside front cover and the rear cover. "B" Type catalogs do not follow any formula. You will be happy to know that the "40B' catalog is a 1984 catalog and the "41B" catalog is a 1987 catalog. When following the dating of "B" type catalogs, you have to expect illogical progression. The number "36B" catalog is a 1976 issue, there is no "37B" catalog and the "38B" catalog is a 1982 issue. The "B" type catalogs do not move with the "A" type catalogs.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 11, 2016, 09:20:20 PM
Sid,

I do not know where you got the formula from. I know it was not from me. As soon as you start believing you can logically figure out a formula to date Penn catalogs with, then you have lost the Dating Game.

The 40B catalog is a 1984 catalog because it is dated on the inside front cover and the rear cover. "B" Type catalogs do not follow any formula. You will be happy to know that the "40B' catalog is a 1984 catalog and the "41B" catalog is a 1987 catalog. When following the dating of "B" type catalogs, you have to expect illogical progression. The number "36B" catalog is a 1976 issue, there is no "37B" catalog and the "38B" catalog is a 1982 issue. The "B" type catalogs do not move with the "A" type catalogs.
Sorry I missed this earlier. My formula comes from the fact that the first catalog, really a brochure, #1, came from 1932 (that is the 32 in my formula). After that they were numbered sequentially except for the years of WWII in which there were three catalogs missing *(that is the 3 in my formula); so before the war 1932 + catalog#=year of catalog, after the war you have to subtract 3 for the 3 missing catalog years. I thought this formula would work, and I still think it may work, just not for the "B" catalogs.

Sid
Sid Lehr

mo65

Did the 146 ever come with a stainless steel spool?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Sid, look in back section of Mike's history book and you will notice that there were 2 catalogs in the early 50's that were used for 2 years each. #17 is for 1952/53 and #18 is 1954/55. That might put a kink in the formula.  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!