100, 100M Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

fishmeluck

What do folks use this reel for? It seems like a possible alternative to the Penn 140, 501 or Newell 220 sized reels. Bryan has a drag upgrade that fits the main gear, and I think the gear sleeve matches the Squidder. Also, in I read somewhere that people used it for fishing the anchovy for schoolie tuna many years ago, the low gear ratio of 3:1 being an advantage. I was thinking of getting one, putting an old steel gear in it, and upgrading the gear sleeve, drag, and handle and giving it a try.   
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

DaBigOno

Quote from: fishmeluck on April 24, 2016, 07:25:00 PM
What do folks use this reel for? It seems like a possible alternative to the Penn 140, 501 or Newell 220 sized reels. Bryan has a drag upgrade that fits the main gear, and I think the gear sleeve matches the Squidder. Also, in I read somewhere that people used it for fishing the anchovy for schoolie tuna many years ago, the low gear ratio of 3:1 being an advantage. I was thinking of getting one, putting an old steel gear in it, and upgrading the gear sleeve, drag, and handle and giving it a try.   

I say "Go for It",  only thing is line capacity is very limited, so you might want to use braid.  Im looking forward to seeing some pics of your catches.   ;)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

I use mine for shallow water rockfish and lingcod, they are filled with 40 pound Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: fishmeluck on April 24, 2016, 07:25:00 PM

After the upgrades above and a Tib frame and spooling with 50lb braid, can fish as a 30lb or 40lb setup with corresponding top shots. Have landed yellowtail at Cedros with my 27 that was upgraded with the 100's 29L-100 spool.

fishmeluck

Well, I went ahead and bought one on Ebay. it is not here yet, but it looked very clean, had Newell bars, base, clamp, spool, and came with one extra Newell spool. According to PennParts, line capacity is only 200yd of 20lb, less than a Newell 220. But, maybe the Newell spools will add a little capacity to that.

PennParts also says the reel has 2 + 1BB. Where is the ball bearing? I thought the Surfmasters had two bushings like the Jigmaster.

I like Tiburon frames, but think I'll wait to see how much I like the reel before adding one. It is so small, it seems like the frame will be stiff enough to handle 50lb braid and a 30lb or 40lb top shot without needing the extra stiffness of a Tiburon frame. And, I've just been spending too much on gear, lately.
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Alto Mare

Are you sure? all I see is bearings.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/40-60.aspx
These bushings are considered bearings... not Ball bearings, but bearings.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 27, 2016, 10:40:22 AM
These bushings are considered bearings... not Ball bearings, but bearings.

They are often called "plain bearings".

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

The Surfmaster 100 is the Poorman's Squidder 146. Surfmasters and Squidders, except for the Surfmaster 250 usually mirror themselves dimensionally. The biggest downgrade from the Squidder to the Surfmaster, in all the sizes was the bearings. All Surfmasters have sleeve bearings (or plain bearings, as previously stated), while all Squidders have Ball Bearings. They are all considered bearings, as Sal said.

Keta

Didn't the Surfmaster predate the Squidder?   

For my use plain bearings have advantages over roller bearings, if I was casting roller bearings have a slight advantage over plain bearings.

Mark Twain

Keta

I just looked it up, it looks like the Surfmaster 150 predated the Squidder 140 by a few years.  Is that correct?

Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on April 27, 2016, 02:46:32 PM
I just looked it up, it looks like the Surfmaster 150 predated the Squidder 140 by a few years.  Is that correct?
I would say, no... According to Mike C in "The Chronological History of Penn Reels" the Squidder was introduced in '39 and the Surfmasters 150, 151, 200, 201 and 250 were all introduced in 1940. What is your reference?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

Scott's, I would tend to rely on Mike over Scott's.

Surfmaster  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSurfmaster.aspx#specs
Squidder   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSquidder.aspx#specs

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Mark Twain

mike1010

I have 50 lb powerpro on mine, and use it for tog.   BTW, these reels may not spin quite like a 146, but if the bushings are well maintained and lubed, will give 30 seconds of free spool, more than enough to create an epic bird's nest if you are not paying attention.

Mike

Keta

Quote from: mike1010 on April 27, 2016, 03:21:44 PM
..... more than enough to create an epic bird's nest if you are not paying attention.

Mike

I've been there.

Mark Twain