Early Sea Ford and their plates used

Started by milne, April 29, 2019, 10:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi All,  I've actually posted these two reels up before when I first got them last year.
   ( hopefully Michael could give his opinion or thoughts)
Recently I was looking at the face book page for Vintage Penn Reels, where someone had just scored an early Sea Ford, but when opening it up, found there was no circle K mark inside the plate, I didn't want to post it up on that Face Book page, posts are lost after a month or so there.
Here's the thing, I have, from what I have researched, a 250 and a 300 yd Sea Ford, Both are Maroon, both are 3 posters, both have the koph style clutch.
Which should all indicate them both being 33 year models, one has the 33 period correct box and by all accounts from what I have read, is that they should have the JK markings on the tail plate, with the head plate used being Penn's first use of there own side plates.
From reading old posts, I know that it was even conjecture by most as to when the Sea Ford was first introduced, and Michael, from the beginning, always felt that the Sea Ford was indeed first introduced in 33 along with Penn's other 2nd gen reels like the long beach Bay side, Sea hawke and the sea king, So they are listed as a late 33 introduction.
So, with the one that has the early box and both having all the documented traits of a 33, could this just be a case of Penn, using up old stock, ie boxes, koph clutch, old configuration ( 3 post) and colour, or could their be another twist where Penn also had tail plates made at the time they first ordered there head plates ??  I just found all this very interesting.......

Col