100, 100M Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on April 27, 2016, 03:11:59 PM
Scott's, I would tend to rely on Mike over Scott's.

Yeah, agree. Scott's lists the Surfmasters mostly as late 1940's reels, but they were in the 1940 Penn catalog. Another reason to buy the book! http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17578.0

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

If we are talking about the base models, then the Squidder 140 was introduced in 1939 and the Surfmaster 200 was introduced in 1939.; But, here we are talking about the Surfmaster 100, which is a sister to the Squidder 146.

The Surfmaster 100 is introduced in 1949, while its sister-reel, the Squidder Jr. 146 was not introduced until 1965. The Surfmaster models have a very interesting introduction, with some very hard to find models that can be worth more money than your average Penn reel.

When the Surfmaster series is introduced in 1940, there were five models, the 200, 201, 150, 151 and 250. After the war, the 201 and 151 (basically fancy Knuckle Busters) were gone. The 100 model that were are talking about here became the first of the small frame, quick break down reels.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you.

You are most welcome..... :)

Rancanfish

I'm curious which SM models would be a bit more worthy, and why?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 28, 2016, 04:40:55 AM
I'm curious which SM models would be a bit more worthy, and why?

What do you mean by 'worthy'?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

"Worthy" of the higher collector values.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

"Worthy" of the higher collector values.

Tough question. Surfmasters are generally not thought of as sought after collector pieces because there are so many of them and their build style was fairly stable. They are all black and stayed that way from their beginnings. The hardest ones to find are the early 151 and 201 models, so I would think of them as more valuable than the standard models; but, they are really hard to find in today's world. Some people consider the Model 100 as a collectible. If you want to put a Model 100 on the shelf, I would say find a really mint, old one (pre-part number reel) in the box with the papers and all the items that belong in the box.

I do have a Maroon one in my collection, which is the only Maroon one I have ever seen, so maybe searching out a strange color Surfmaster would be a challenge. The quest be easy, any Surfmaster that is not Black is weird.

Hope this helps.

Rancanfish

Thanks for that.  I was inquiring out of curiosity of what you meant would make one more desirable only.  I have no illusions of owning big money Surfmasters, lol.

I guess I thought for a bit that you were going to reveal a model Penn unknown to me in that line.

I'm happy that you share your passion (and endless research no doubt) with us all.

And how about a pic of that maroon baby?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 29, 2016, 05:26:01 AM
Thanks for that.  I was inquiring out of curiosity of what you meant would make one more desirable only.  I have no illusions of owning big money Surfmasters, lol.

I guess I thought for a bit that you were going to reveal a model Penn unknown to me in that line.

I'm happy that you share your passion (and endless research no doubt) with us all.

And how about a pic of that maroon baby?

...same here... :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Here is a low quality photo of my 201...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fishmeluck

This is page from Scott's that has the "2+1BB" reference and led to my question about there maybe being one ball ball bearing somewhere.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSurfmaster.aspx#specs

I can't see anything but two bushings on the schematic, and now that I've received my 100 Surfmaster and popped it open, I don't see anything but two bushings inside the reel.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Keta

Scott's is a good reference but there are a few mistakes.

Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnd how about a pic of that maroon baby?

This Maroon reel is  Model 200 and probably belongs in another thread; but, the question is here, so here goes;;

basto

Quote from: Keta on April 27, 2016, 02:39:11 PM
Didn't the Surfmaster predate the Squidder?   

For my use plain bearings have advantages over roller bearings, if I was casting roller bearings have a slight advantage over plain bearings.

Back in the eighties, a very prominent fishing writer in Australia did some tests on bushings and ball bearings in ABU baicasters.
He found that when casting ultra light lures, the distance of the cast lure was actually greater with bushings than with ball bearings.
He attributed this to the extra energy or force needed to start the balls rolling in the ball bearings.
The bushings needed less start up force, so there was less drag on the very light spool at startup.

This only applies to ultra light spools, line,lures and oil of very light viscosity.
Casting with heavier gear,  the bearings will always give the longest cast.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n