100, 100M Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: JohnDeereMoxie on January 18, 2017, 03:19:02 PM
I just got this Surfmaster 100 a couple weeks ago from an antique shop.  I thought it wasn't a bad deal at $22. Wish I could've gotten it for less, I love the image on it.  I haven't taken it apart yet, but everything seems to be pretty smooth on it, clicker sounds great.  How do I date this?

I believe first year for the 100 was 1949. Your reel has part numbers which dates it to a bit later. The hint of a date on this one would be the shape of the "foot" on the seat. Somewhere in the mid 50's or a bit earlier, they redesigned the tongue to have more taper. The tongue on your surfmaster is the early version. The slotted rod clamp also went away around 1954/55-ish ....Early 50's on your surfmaster 100 is best I can do without the original box. Looks like a bit of Ohana love and it'll be a decent little reel.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JohnDeereMoxie

Thank you.  Was that a decent price I paid?

mo65

Quote from: JohnDeereMoxie on January 25, 2017, 09:01:29 PM
Thank you.  Was that a decent price I paid?

22 bucks for a Surfmaster 100 in that condition is a good buy. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

i'll take a dozen at that $. nice score.

JohnDeereMoxie

I kinda figured that so I was like why not. I'll clean it up a little bit. Thanks all! :)

Pappy

Great topic! I was surfing the site and came across this thread. I was actually trying to find out what year the Penn 100 Surfmaster was built. Also, the last part of the thread some guys were figuring out what species of fish to use it for. I've owned my 100 since 1978. Back in the day it was my go to reel for Southern California Yellowtail, Bonito, Dorado, Albacore and Calico Bass. I've also fished it around the world during my military career. I've recently hot rodded it with the Tiburon frame, SS gear sleeve, SS dog and the 5 drag stack. I'ts been standing up to everything so far, except the Albacore of course. We haven't had them here in SoCal for a few years. But to clear any doubts, this old reel is killing it still! Funny thing is, It's almost the same exact size as my Saltiga SA20, which has been my go to reel for the last 10 years. I'm also getting a consistent 12-15 pounds of drag after the upgrade. I have it spooled with 50lb braid and a short 3 foot leader of flourocarbon.

joel8080

Question: what is the width of a 100 the reason I ask is both the 100 & 200 take the same tail plate but differante head plate and the same main gear, just trying to figure it out why.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Maxed Out

Surfmaster 100 is same width as a 501 jigmaster, and 146 squidder

All 3 use the #49 seat and posts
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

George6308

There is also a fresh water ( smaller) reel stand (30-180F).

joel8080

So the only differance betwwen a 100 & a 200 is the width of the reel?.

As the guts are the same so are the plates except one says 100 the other 200 on the face plate.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

George6308

Yep There is another width between the two, 160, 145, & 150. Same end plates as 100 & 180. The 145 is the squidder mid size.

Pappy

Anybody know where I can get a 5 plus one drag stack for the Penn 100 surfmaster? I tried reaching out to Bryan Young but no response.

Thanks, Pappy

fishhawk

pappy, I believe mystic reel parts has them. Great bunch of people.

Pappy

Keta

Quote from: joel8080 on July 11, 2018, 09:20:46 PM
So the only differance betwwen a 100 & a 200 is the width of the reel?.

As the guts are the same so are the plates except one says 100 the other 200 on the face plate.

joel8080

Yes Joel, the Surfmaster 100, 150 and 200 are all the same reel only different widths.  The 150 is 99 width.  The Surfmaster 250 is a different reel, like a low speed Jigmaster 500. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain