150, 150M, 150L Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 03:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Just bought a 150 on the net and have been doing a bit of homework on it.
This model is very close to the 99 .  It has the same width, the same drag, the same quick takedown headplate as the 99,
but does not have the same 6 screw stand as the 99.

Interesting that PENN made 2 reels so similar. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a couple of weeks.
I will post some pics when it arrives.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

wow, it took two years for a post on this reel....

Basto, the 150 is the midsize Surfmaster between the 100 and 200, which are the eco-line of the Squidders, having bushings. So it is a mid-width, Squidder-sized reel while the 99 is a mid-width, Jigmaster sized reel, which is why they may have similar guts but still merited their existence in the Penn line-up. The 150 is pretty good surfcasting reel.

John

basto

Hi John
Yes, I see the 150 has smaller diam. side plates and only one tailplate ring where the 99 has 2 rings.
I thought the 150 would have same drag as 155,180, but a bit bigger, same as 60 and 110.
Should be a stout little reel.

basto

Got home from my trip and my neighbour bought my mail over. Opened up my parcel to find a 160, not a 150.  Should have been more careful I guess, buying a reel which only had one very poor photo on the advert.
Anyhow, not totally disappointed.I quite like the old 160 and have a few 155 parts that will help it.It has a chromed bronze spool 29-150. .....confused?

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector