250 Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 03:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about the chronological history of this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Does anyone know the speed difference between a Surfmaster 250 and the smaller Surfers? The 250 uses a #13-500 pinion...and the others all use a #13-200.  Or maybe I should have asked if there's a difference.  :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Mo, according to Scott's they're all 3:1
Check it out here https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSurfmaster.aspx#specs

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on September 20, 2016, 04:44:22 AM
Mo, according to Scott's they're all 3:1

I saw that too Sid...those specs sparked my curiosity. I think the different pinion used on the 250 slows it just a bit. When I check a 100, I get around 3.3:1, and about 3:1 for the 250. So close it hardly matters...BUT...a difference none the less! :D

Alto Mare

I'm not sure what you have or what I have, but all the gears that I tested have 3.3:1 ratio.
The Surfmaster 100 pinion ( 13-200)  has 12 teeth, the main gear 5-60 has 40 teeth. 40 divided by 12 =3.3:1 ratio
The Surfmaster 250 pinion ( 13-500 ) ..............................................same...........................................................
The  Squidder                    ( 13-140)  ...............................................same...........................................................

The 13-200 will not work on the Surfmaster 250, or Jigmaster, the ID is too tight.
The 13-500 will work on the  Surfmaster 100 and obviously on the Surfmaster 250. It will feel a little too lose on the 100, but functional. I rather use the 13- 200 on those.
The 13-140 will not work on all except for the Squidder, the bottom part of the pinion is not drilled to accept a bushing.
We could make it work if we needed to, by drilling the bottom.

Confused yet? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Clear as mud, brother  :D....gets confusing sometimes, just need to slow down and visualize....chanting helps too  ::) ummmm, ummmm, ummmm, ummmm  ;). Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Remember though, the bigger spool of the 250 will retrieve more than the smaller reels. Just to add to the confusion.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: noyb72 on September 25, 2016, 08:53:37 PM
Remember though, the bigger spool of the 250 will retrieve more than the smaller reels. Just to add to the confusion.
Ron

Yep...that's what led me to researching...I was curious to see how much more line I'd retrieve on the 250. Now let's add even more confusion! I pulled in 20 inches of line with the 100, and 19 inches with the 250! Now that sounds ridiculous until you consider where I said my 250 appeared a bit slower. Hee hee...what a mess... 8)

mo65

Ahh...did a bit more research. I took another look at the pinion in my 250. As this pic shows...it has 13 teef! :D This explains my 3:1 ratio...as 40 divided by 13 is 3.0769. I also saw Scott's said the #13-500 is a replacement for early 250s that use a #13-99...hmm...I can see I'm not loosing my mind just yet! 8)

Ron Jones

Of course,
If you go much faster than 3:1 your bumping up against 4:1, which is a Jigmaster. For old style slow plastics, that pinion is perfect.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on September 25, 2016, 10:20:33 PM
  Ahh...did a bit more research. I took another look at the pinion in my 250. As this pic shows...it has 13 teef! :D This explains my 3:1 ratio...as 40 divided by 13 is 3.0769. I also saw Scott's said the #13-500 is a replacement for early 250s that use a #13-99...hmm...I can see I'm not loosing my mind just yet! 8)
Yep! found a couple of 13 teeth deep in my box as well. I'm guessing the older models had the 3.1:1 ratio, today all are 3.3:1.
Comparing the two, I would think it would be very hard to notice when fishing though.
Penn has been stating the 505 gears have a 5:1 ratio, those are actually 4.8:1. To me, too little to complain about  :)
Good investigation Mo!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Does this mean we can put an older 13 tooth pinion into a jigmaster to change the ratio from 4:1 to 3.7:1? The 3.6:1 newell gears seem to be popular with some people.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

BryanC

Quote from: mhc on December 03, 2016, 01:06:52 PM
Does this mean we can put an older 13 tooth pinion into a jigmaster to change the ratio from 4:1 to 3.7:1? The 3.6:1 newell gears seem to be popular with some people.
Mike

I think so.  It was mentioned by Ratchet on this thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3076.msg20498#msg20498

I have a couple 13-99 pinions and have been meaning to try it myself, but have not gotten around to it yet.

mhc

Thanks for the link Bryan - I must have missed (or forgotten) that post. I might give it a try, I think I've got a 13-99 somewhere.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

foakes

I might try that also, when time allows --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.