Penn Chronology

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Our own Mike Cacioppo (Penn Chronology) has written what I believe to be the only two reference books on Penn Reels. The first is titled "The Chronological History of Penn Reels 1932-1957", and the second is "The Penn Reel Collector's Companion and Price Guide 1932-1957". Both are published by Whitefish Press. The contact to purchase is Dr. Todd Larson, The Whitefish Press, 4240 Minmoor Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45217. I got mine directly from the author and the first page looks like this:
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Cannot stress or emphasize enough -- the value of these two books...for anyone interested in Penn Reels.

The price is very reasonable, the research is a lifetime of exhaustive organization, the layout is fresh as well as historical -- great pictures and text information.  Plus, the information contained you will always refer back to -- as long as you are interested in these great reels.

This is a must have, go to set -- it is the Bible for all of us Penn Nerds.

If you have a gift card you haven't used, or a few extra bucks stashed away -- consider this possibly the best investment you will ever make to promote your knowledge and skill in identifying, collecting, and studying the Penn Reels.

We are fortunate to have Mike as one of our members.

Lets support the good work he has brought to us.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Thanks for the kind words. That is what makes it worthwhile!!

mo65

I saw this book listed on eBay...I think I better get a copy. Thanks for answering so many of my questions Mike.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteI saw this book listed on eBay...I think I better get a copy. Thanks for answering so many of my questions Mike.

My pleasure.

PERRO

Hey all, with all of the information available " Online / Web Surfing  ".. I've been somewhat reluctant to spend any $$ on resource books.

However, after reading all of the positive comments, I finally decided to pick up a two volume set.

I was lucky enough to locate an original cased hardcover copy.  ;D

sdlehr

Nicely done, Perro! You do know that Mike is part of the Ohana, right?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

PERRO

Quote from: sdlehr on November 26, 2016, 03:43:49 PM
Nicely done, Perro! You do know that Mike is part of the Ohana, right?

Sid

Yes,, Ive read half a dozen old threads on the subject.. I kept putting it off & finally bit the Bullet .. on an original hard copy " No. 73 of 100 ".

It will reside on the shelf, alongside a few other cherished Resource Guides. ;D

Ron Jones

Nice,
The only work I have from Kieth is "Sixguns." I love reading that book.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

Ohana. I think that means family. Nice to be thought of that way! Thanks!

Ron Jones

No Mike, not thought of that way. You ARE family, which means you're stuck with us. ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

QuoteNo Mike, not thought of that way. You ARE family, which means you're stuck with us. Grin
Ron

I can live with that.......................... ;D

Penn Chronology

The third book in the series is now available at the website          http://www.whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=223

This is the Source book that has all the catalogs years represented page by page from 1933 to 1957.

Bill B

It was killing me, we moved about 9 months ago and I still haven't fully unpacked.....butt not having my books was killing me, so I dove into my pile of unopened boxes and found Mikes books...all is well again 🤙  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

I feel honored to have my work so respected. Especially since I am not a writer and basically take forever to put one of these books together. I have submitted two more works to the publisher about Ocean City reels. Decided going back further in time was appropriate since Ocean City Manufacturing Company is where Otto Henze learned the skill of reel making. Hopefully they get released while I am still young............. ::) ::) ::)