61-62-63 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronology of these reels in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

I thought I would start this thread because I see it sitting with zero comments and these small Long Beach models should really be noticed. They are very special because they are really a hybrid Long Beach. Standard Long Beach 60 & 65 side plates are 3 1/4 inches. The Model 61, 62 & 63 are 3 1/16 inches. The difference is only 3/16 of an inch; but difference gives these small reels a very different feel and when placed side by side, the size difference stands out

The reel on the left is a Model 62, the reel on the right is a Model 65. These are early examples of both Long Beach models as can be seen by the hex head hand retaining screw and the Model 65 Patent Pending logo. Interesting to note that the small frame Long Beach models were all marked Patented, No small frame Long Beach was ever labeled Patent Pending, even though the model shared the same era with the Model 60 and 65's.

The difference in spool width is very easy to spot. Reel in the front is the Model 65. Spool widths are dramatically different. The small frame reels were made in 100, 150 and 200 yard version. The shortest production span of the group is the 200 yard version being made in only 1938 and 1939. The 100 and 150 were both introduced in 1935. All the small frame models were discontinued in 1940. So collecting these models is a challenge because of their vintage and low production numbers.

Early model Long Beach reels had plain tail plates. In the late 1930's the picture plates were introduced, so your small frame Long Beach models can be found with plain or picture plates.

OK, with this being said, we can now post some photos of small frame Long Beach models from our collections. I find the small frame reels a curiosity of Penn. They are high quality products that did not stand the test of time. Never really figured out why. I guess the small size was their downfall. In today's world of new braided lines, these would probably be very popular reels. There is a very high collector interest in these small models.

mo65

How about that? Great info...I didn't know the 61-63 models had smaller plates than the standard models. What was the yardage on the 60?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Mo, the standard Penn formula applies to the Long Beaches. In fact, the formula was started with the Long Beaches. The 60 and 65 are 250- and 300-yards, respectively. The 61, 62 and 63 are 100-, 150-, and 200-yard reels. The 66, 67 and 68 are 300-, 400- and 500-yard reels. So from the 61 to the 68 the Long Beaches had all the distances between 100- and 500-yards covered.

Sid
Sid Lehr

foakes

Thanks for starting this, Michael...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for starting this, Michael...

Glad to. I felt this was a phase of a very important model that was sleeping on the side lines. I have more to add, hopefully I can later today.

Penn Chronology

So. Penn made these strange little Long Beach reels in the 1930's. I call them hybrids because when they were introduced in 1935, there were no other small models. Penn wanted to downsize to cover a different style of fishing. Rather than introduce newly designed models, what Penn did was to shrink every one of their existing models. In 1935 there were only eight Penn model names and every one of those models was offered as a shrunken reel. Across the entire production of these small reels, I do not believe even one of them was a popular reel, that is why by 1939, the production run of all the Long Beach models was done and the rest of the small reels were gone by 1941. What this short run creates for today's collectors is very hard to find examples for their collections.

In terms of the small Long Beach models, they are all hard to find. The 150 yard version is probably the easiest of the three models to find and the 200 yard version is probably the hardest to find.

I like the 200 because it is one of the easiest one to date. Being that it was only made in 1938 and 1939, the catalog gives us a big difference between those model years. The 1938 will have the bell or pear shaped handle knob and the 1939 model will have a Torpedo handle. It is not too often when we can date a Penn reels from the 1930's that easily.

I only have one example of the Penn Long Beach Model 63 in my little collection. I do not have a box for it, only the reel and it is a 1939 model.

It breaks down like any other early Penn; but, do not loose the parts. They are deceiving. They look like normal Penn parts but not all of them interchange so easy with other Penn reels. Some parts are a bit odd and will drive you nuts trying to refit one.

I have a small diameter Long Beach head plate and cannot find a bridge to fit correctly. These early bridge plates were made for the shrunken reels and I do not believe they interchange with any other Penn reels.

The early Long Beach reels have shorter handle blades than a Penn 60 or 65 Long Beach. The handle for the small reels look stubby and very sturdy. The short handle is using the same size torpedo knob and the same oversized counter weight as the larger Long Beach 60 models.

You can see the new 1939 logo on this reel. It was used on many other Penn reels as well as the little guys.

The tail plates are no longer plain like the early models. By 1939 they are pictures plates. I doubt if the transition took place in one year like the handles did. I am pretty sure Penn used up stock, so later model small reels may be found with plain tail plates.

Penn did install knurled rear upper posts on these reels; but, I have no idea why. The small Long Beach had big gears, with drags that were the same size as the Model 60 and 65. So they had a more than adequate drag system. I think they used the knurled bars just to attract old time fisherman that were accustomed to the thumb stalls.

Here is a really tough to find part. A 200 yard stamped stand. I have no production numbers; but, I am very happy that my stand was not cut or filed because finding a replacement would be a challenge.

Well that's it for the Model 63. These smaller reels make for very interesting talking pieces. The speculation of why Penn made so many different models for such a short time span may never have a satisfactory answer; but, it certainly adds some special interest to a collection of retired Penn Long Beach models.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George4741

I'm finally coming out of the narrow minded ::) daze that has afflicted me since I came into possession of this Long Beach 61.  I'm adding to Michael's comments with some additional observations of my reel.  I wondered if it was similar to any other early Penn and, noticing the plate diameter is the same as a 259, disassembled both for a comparison.  They use the same inner rings, gears, gear sleeve, eccentric, jack and dog.      

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 16, 2016, 07:20:27 AM

I have a small diameter Long Beach head plate and cannot find a bridge to fit correctly. These early bridge plates were made for the shrunken reels and I do not believe they interchange with any other Penn reels.

I assumed the 61 and 259 use the same bridge.  I will have to disassemble them again to do another comparison.

The stand is nicely proportioned to fit this reel.

At 1.423 inches, the 61 is narrower than Penn's petite 180.  I believe this was their narrowest production reel, hence the narrow minded quip.  The handle blade is the same size as a 24-160, but thicker and with a larger knob.

I prefer my reels to be narrow and really like this one.  To sum it up in the simplest terms, I think of the 61 as an extremely narrow 259 without the outer beauty rings.

Long Live the Long Beach
George
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on August 16, 2016, 04:04:39 PM

I assumed the 61 and 259 use the same bridge.  I will have to disassemble them again to do another comparison.

Long Live the Long Beach
George
I'm thinking that Mike ought to buy you a beer if it turns out that the 259 bridge fits the 61-2-3 head plate... :) I have a 259, but those low-number Long Beaches have thus far eluded me, so I cannot offer to do the test fitting myself....

Sid
Sid Lehr

George4741

Quote from: sdlehr on August 16, 2016, 05:15:23 PM
Quote from: George4741 on August 16, 2016, 04:04:39 PM

I assumed the 61 and 259 use the same bridge.  I will have to disassemble them again to do another comparison.

Long Live the Long Beach
George
I'm thinking that Mike ought to buy you a beer if it turns out that the 259 bridge fits the 61-2-3 head plate... :) I have a 259, but those low-number Long Beaches have thus far eluded me, so I cannot offer to do the test fitting myself....

Sid

Well, I'm not going to disassemble my reels again.  I now realize the 259 has a 3-99 bridge (Silverbeach 99) and I'm willing to bet a beer ;) the 61 also uses the same bridge.  The headplates of all three reels are the same diameter anyway.  Problem solved. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem

coastal_dan

George - That 100 yd reel is a beauty!  Love the super narrow reels...just somethin' about them...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

Well, I'm not going to disassemble my reels again.  I now realize the 259 has a 3-99 bridge (Silverbeach 99) and I'm willing to bet a beer Wink the 61 also uses the same bridge.  The headplates of all three reels are the same diameter anyway.  Problem solved. Grin

Posted on: Today at 09:15:23 AM
Posted by: sdlehr  

OK, I played with two head plates today. I have two incomplete small Long Beach reels. The 99 bridge is tight; but, it will work. The 99 jack plate works as does the 99 yoke and yoke springs.  I used a 99 main gear that fits OK. The trim rings from a 259 fit the hole pattern; but, the bent over flange is too short on the Long Beach, causing a gap all the way around the plate in the under cut rim of the plate.
             Now, with all this, I cannot get the 150 yard spool I have to fit the 99 pinion gear. The spool shaft has a shoulder on it which will not allow it to completely engage the pinion gear. Possibly I have the wrong spool; but, it does fit the frame of the reel perfectly. At this time all the 99 parts are basically fitting except the pinion gear. The 99 pinion gear would work in the 100 and 200 yard models; but, the 150 is giving me grief.

More to come after the Xanax kicks in.

George4741

Michael, I decided to disassemble my 61 and 259 again to confirm what I thought.  Since you have some interchangeability problems with parts on your reels it was doubly important I get it right.  So, I swapped all of the parts between the head plates and everything is interchangeable and functions smoothly, including the pinion gear and spool engagement.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 17, 2016, 06:58:33 AM
The trim rings from a 259 fit the hole pattern; but, the bent over flange is too short on the Long Beach, causing a gap all the way around the plate in the under cut rim of the plate.
This is also true on my 61.  I wonder if the early Senator 1/0 rings will fit on a 61, 62 and 63 Long Beach without a gap?

Quote from: coastal_dan on August 17, 2016, 01:58:30 AM
George - That 100 yd reel is a beauty!  Love the super narrow reels...just somethin' about them...

Thank you, Dan.  I consider myself very fortunate to have this one.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMichael, I decided to disassemble my 61 and 259 again to confirm what I thought.  Since you have some interchangeability problems with parts on your reels it was doubly important I get it right.  So, I swapped all of the parts between the head plates and everything is interchangeable and functions smoothly, including the pinion gear and spool engagement.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 16, 2016, 10:58:33 PM

The trim rings from a 259 fit the hole pattern; but, the bent over flange is too short on the Long Beach, causing a gap all the way around the plate in the under cut rim of the plate.

This is also true on my 61.  I wonder if the early Senator 1/0 rings will fit on a 61, 62 and 63 Long Beach without a gap?
I am having an issue with my 150--Model 62. I have one in the box that I may have to take down to see if the spool that is causing my problem is the same in the reel I know is original. Will get back with that info when time allows.

I do not have a Senator 1/0 at this time. So I cannot verify the ring fit. At least we know the 259 ring is not right.

Thanks for taking the time to verify the interchanges. You have helped me with this info.