61-62-63 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi Dominick,  I saw them for sale and nearly coughed in my rompers !.....$250 !!!   But, then again, with the info in it......
  I'm actually joining ORCA and seeing if they have it in their shop library, just been to busy the last week or so to get on with it.
By the looks, there are a few books that look like "must gets" that Michael has produced, so I'll get on with that and try my luck their.

I was right annoyed I slept in with the one I missed on Ebay, that went for around $50, so I would have been in on that if I didn't miss it.

I have to admit though, here on this forum, a lot of the information is here, but it sure would be way easier to have it in one book to refer too.
So far I haven't made any "clunker purchases",,, more luck than management I must admit.

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Dominick,  I saw them for sale and nearly coughed in my rompers !.....$250 !!!   But, then again, with the info in it......

A few years ago I bought 100 soft covers and barely got my money back. Wound up selling at 40.00 a copy on EBay. That was my cost. Now there is some kind of problem at the Whitefish Press.

I do not like seeing anyone trying to take advantage of a problem. So, I do not like seeing the books at that price. I wish I could sell these books much cheaper, but, as I have said many times. The publishing business is not Me, I am at the mercy of the publisher, who is in some kind of situation with the Book Binder.

All my soft covers are gone. I have a few hard covers left. They are considered Author Proofs or Limited Editions and have a signed and numbered book plate on the inside cover I have some Blue Covers and Yellow covers. If anyone is interested in ordering them I will sell them at my cost, which is about $80.00 to $100 each approximately, I have to check. Please message me if you are interested. This is all I can do at this point. Very sorry for the Whitefish Press problems but I have no control over the supply.

milne

bill19803

there  are  other   sources    for  the  3 books  besides  whitefish  press    do a amazon  search  and   you may   find  them much   cheaper then the    ebay.  Whitefish  didnt  respond  to me    but   s.o.   went hunting   and  found  them     for  bday present at  whitefish  prices

mo65

I just tuned up one of these 62s before I retired it to the shelf and came across the most worn AR dog I've ever seen. I'm thinking the steel spring may have helped in wearing it so much. I didn't replace it...as I like to leave these shelfies all original. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

That's impressive wear Mo, did the sleeve ratchet have signs of wear as well? Maybe it was lubricated with lapping compound.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

broadway

Wow! That is one "old dog," Mo.
Cool how you can see the engagement was a teeny off or the dog is thicker than the ratchet by that amount.
My guess is there may be some gear lash in regards to the ratchet. That part has put in more than its share of work to say the least.
Neat find,
Dom

milne

That's cool Mo,  she deserves to be left as is....

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just tuned up one of these 62s before I retired it to the shelf and came across the most worn AR dog I've ever seen. I'm thinking the steel spring may have helped in wearing it so much. I didn't replace it...as I like to leave these shelfies all original.

"Steel" spring? The reason for the abnormal wear must be the spring. No Penn conventional dog spring should be steel. They are all brass. Steel would put much too stress on the parts causing that excessive wear.

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 02, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
"Steel" spring? The reason for the abnormal wear must be the spring. No Penn conventional dog spring should be steel.

I agree...but this ain't the first time I've seen a steel spring in an old Penn. I opened an old Delmar with one, and a Bayhead too. Probably something Dominick did years ago...just to mess with us new punks...HA!! :D

Maxed Out

Here is a steel dog spring that came out of a well used pre war Delmar.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

I just read through this whole thing, I'm not a collector and so wasn't interested until I realized that the little ones are Jigmaster size, I love history.

I've only seen the width of the 61, which seems really close to the width of the XN Jigmaster created just recently, funny how nothing is new. Can someone tell me the width of the other two? Does the 99 use a 63 spool or do none of the widths match up exactly. Its neat to see that the 259 is a dressed up Longbeach, I'm guessing it would have been called a 64? Probably not made because the 65 would be similar capacity following the yardage rule.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Ron, the long beach 61,62, and 63 are smaller diameter than standard long beach 60. The 61,62, & 63 all have unique spools that don't interchange with any other models
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

Great,
I understand that they are smaller than the 60, they are the same diameter as the 500/99/259 etc. I just wasn't sure of the widths. I hypothesized that the 62 was the precursor to the 501 and the 63 was the precursor to the 99. I just like trying to recreate the hypothetical thought process that led to different models.
By the way, 15kts, 2-4 w/5, Little bumpy but I'm game!
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 03, 2019, 02:41:05 AM
I understand that they are smaller than the 60, they are the same diameter as the 500/99/259 etc. I just wasn't sure of the widths. I hypothesized that the 62 was the precursor to the 501 and the 63 was the precursor to the 99.

The LB 63 was actually the same width as the LB 60. Had it been the width of the LB 65 it would have been an early "99". Interestingly, released the same year(1938) was the Silverbeach 97 which did become the 99. I gotta slow down...my eyes just crossed again...:P