61-62-63 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Model 62----------1 9/16"

Model 63----------1 13/16" Light

George4741

Michael, thank you for the info.  BTW could you use a 501 spool and 99 pinion gear to make a functioning, LB62?
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteBTW could you use a 501 spool and 99 pinion gear to make a functioning, LB62?

Will not answer that. I have never tried it. Possibly; but, even if the spool fits, it will be obviously incorrect with the raised line pin and parts numbers showing. If it fit, fill it with linen line until you can find a correct one.

sdlehr

I was going to say it might be the same dimensionally, and functionally, but it won't be a LB62.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 20, 2016, 06:47:59 AM
First thing I did was go into my collection for a known, original Model 62 Long Beach.

This reel is correct. It is an early model reel that may or may not be in an original box. I believe these boxes are original to the early versions of the small frame reels. I do not believe the small frame reels were put into the old style boxes; but, of course, I will not swear to it because every time I figure what I am saying about Penn is 100% right, someone pulls something out of their closet to refute me.

Mike,
What did you mean when you said the above about the small frame reel boxes? What is the old style box you are referring to?
Sorry to ask, its just that not being able to see the photobucket pics anymore makes the thread hard to follow.

-Chris

I replaced the pic Chris. I think this is the right one.
Daron
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat did you mean when you said the above about the small frame reel boxes? What is the old style box you are referring to?
Sorry to ask, its just that not being able to see the photobucket pics anymore makes the thread hard to follow.

I have not had the time to find a new way to post pics here. I have no faith in the hosting sites anymore.

Glad you emailed me. You find of the old style box for the Model 62 is super rare. Patiently waiting for your pictures.

1badf350

Thanks Mike. Should be delivered tomorrow. I will email you pictures tomorrow night and post here for all to see
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike. Should be delivered tomorrow. I will email you pictures tomorrow night and post here for all to see

Thank you!!

broadway

All I gotta say is the collector that you're buying these from had one hell of a rare collection.
That's the only 62 box I've ever seen and boy what a cool box it is.
I would buy the entire collection of I were you.
Thanks for sharing
Dom

1badf350

Well here she is. Unfortunately someone decided to "clean" the reel at some point. I would like to find replacement parts to clean it up, but I'm afraid the handle, spool, and stand will be near impossible, so I'd rather have an original condition reel than a half and half, so I'll leave it alone. The box is in fantastic shape.
I'm not buying these reels from any collector. But I'm also not telling you how I've been finding them. ;)

-Chris

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 15, 2017, 04:23:50 PM
I have not had the time to find a new way to post pics here. I have no faith in the hosting sites anymore.

Why not just use the "additional options" feature? You'll be posting pics directly from your 'puter's files...no host needed! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

Quote from: mo65 on October 17, 2017, 03:02:17 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 15, 2017, 04:23:50 PM

Why not just use the "additional options" feature? You'll be posting pics directly from your 'puter's files...no host needed! 8)

Well gosh darn!!  Thanks Mo!!!
-Chris

Maxed Out

Nice find Chris. FYI, the box is worth much more than the reel.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

There must be a special website that Otto is hosting just for you.
Have no fear I'm not looking to find your source... I wouldn't tell you either.
Nice finds and always fun to see something I wouldn't have otherwise.
Dom

Penn Chronology

OK, I am trying this Additional Options trick.