If 6 was 9

Started by Decker, November 30, 2017, 10:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Quote from: Decker on December 04, 2017, 06:56:04 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on December 04, 2017, 06:31:18 PM
......and if'n your looking for another "99" build.......how bout a 1/0 with 66 seat and bars, and 99 spool  ;D

SWEEET, Ted...  I just don't know if I could bring myself to cannibalize a minty 1/0.

What do you think about the idea of cataloging franken-reels for the site?   Does it defeat the purpose?   I'd like to put together some kind of Penn reel "cookbook."  It would include inventor attributions, options, links to posts and photos, etc.

/Joe

I think this's a great idea Joe. I had no idea before this thread about the 99 - 66 thing. For persons such as myself that have a limited number of parts, it would bea great reference tool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

I also think it's a great idea, Joe. It's a lot of information - lengths, widths, spool spindle sizes also vary but you may choose to limit the first edition to a single spool spindle size. Bushings, bearings, it's doable but more complicated than my non-coding brain can ponder. You, however, with the ambidextrous brain should have no trouble with it :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

I learned all my tricks on this forum. In other words, all the interchange info is already here. Every reel possible has already been made into 99 width many moons ago by forum members. Searching for those threads is half of the fun !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Ted,
You are a Machine!
Life is Good!

Decker

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 05, 2017, 01:29:43 AM
I learned all my tricks on this forum. In other words, all the interchange info is already here. Every reel possible has already been made into 99 width many moons ago by forum members. Searching for those threads is half of the fun !!

Yeah, I see your point, Ted, but I'm feeling a match like Gary Kasparov versus Big Blue, John Henry versus the steam drill, or  Stevie Ray Vaughn on stage with Jimi.   ;D ;D ;D  You would win, but it would be fun to compete.

But seriously, just something of an index and guide, with proper attributions, of course. Something that works for, not against, the site as it is.  For now I'm abusing the hospitality of Scott's and not buying much.

Maxed Out

Thanks Daron, you rock !!  8) 8)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Decker

I'm hooked.   I've been thinking about how impractical it is for me to get so involved in these reels, yet... I'm sure I want to do it.   

About franken-reels...   It starts with a focused intention to build a nice-looking, strong reel, for a specific fishing application, and largely based on the serious work that has been done before by Sal, Ted, Bryan, Alan, and many others.  You know the drill... the SS sleeve, the drags, the frame, the spool, the handle & arm.   If I think about actual fishing, I really don't give a damn for the looks, though there needs to be an intrinsic aesthetic and strength to the build.  Conversely, thinking about what I want to post on the site, I'm looking some kind of macho bling.  Shiny metals, structure, color, etc. It has to catch fishermen as much as fish.

I've got around six or so reels in progress at this point and have posted none of them.   Someone told me a long time ago that my outlook on life is such that I get much more satisfaction from imagining and designing things than from actually accomplishing them.   Once it is done, the dream is over, in a sense.  That said, as I slowly accumulate parts for my various project reels, I find my imagination going in various tangents about their designs.  While it is entirely possible that many of my project reels will never be finished, I see that I'm actually building a kind of toy chest of parts with potential for a large variety of configurations.   Maybe I'll build some of these reels just to document and photograph.  Shortly after, maybe I'll disassemble them to use the parts again; I don't like the idea of "shelf queens."   Boat rash is a badge of honor, but my boat time is limited.  The franken-reel "cookbook" database idea fits into my approach to exploring reel building, and also making a contribution to the site for those who share the interest.

Of course, like Ted has said, there are a finite number of possible configurations, and most have already been done by site members.  I expect that at some point I'll reach the end of this and move onto something else.  However,  possibilities of going deeper do exist.  The idea of getting three-dimensional printing into this whole scene seems intriguing, and that could go on for a long time.   I hope that somehow this venture results in more fishing, because that is the true intention; reel building is just a side-show.   It seems to be working in that regard, though slowly. 

Am I crazy?  Somehow remembering Hendrix songs fuels this.

And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually.