DL65 Long Beach Deluxe

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronology of this reel in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

A Long Beach 65 "De Luxe", 1938, 300yd'er. Will post questions as I go through it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

It's a 2/0 senator in "99" width. Seems strange there is no yardage stamp, cause the logo is generic and that yardage stamp was for a person to decipher which model it was.

Either way it's a nice find

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

Dang I'm going to have to start paying attention more to these old Penn's you all post. I run into them at sales ever so often.   Most the time I dont know what I'm looking at. Only ones in the past that got my attention were the ones that were never used in the box. Usually cheap enough Im out nothing if they arent worth much.... Jeff 

Gfish

Cleaned up the inside today. So far, only one problem to solve: like the TLD 15 I have, tilt to the left during free spool spinning and it spins great, tilt to the right and the spool slows quickly and comes to a stop. Fix fora TLD was a spacer sleeve. Fix here? We'll see...

Check out the side plate screw arrangement. Each of the inside rings has the 2 outside screws for the stand hidden under the outter ring and there's only 1 screw in the middle that attaches to the stand through both rings. Also the lowest of the 3 posts on either side are attached with screws hidden on the inside rings.
Also note the marks for screw-holes that were not cut out on the headplate. So you got a total of 5 screws that go through both rings, and 4 that only go through the plate and inside ring.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

So we're the Senators just a new name for Long beach deluxes? I think I just invented a word.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on January 14, 2018, 05:45:11 AM
Cleaned up the inside today. So far, only one problem to solve: like the TLD 15 I have, tilt to the left during free spool spinning and it spins great, tilt to the right and the spool slows quickly and comes to a stop. Fix fora TLD was a spacer sleeve. Fix here? We'll see...

I've had this problem on several Penns Gfish. Sometimes it's as easily fixed as just changing a bearing. Other times I've shimmed the bearing with one of Sal's "delrin dots". The desired effect is shifting the spool either left or right to avoid rubbing something. Even just a few thousandths to one side or the other can fix it.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I've been hunting for the elusive "deluxe" for awhile. That's a nice reel you have Gfish, looks like you found a little honey-hole.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Gotta love a "honey hole"...
The spool was rubbin on the edge of the bridge plate. Didn't make any metal to metal sound, 'till I took it apart and spun the spool balanced on the right bushing only. Used a hard metal piece of a round clicker pawl as a bottom-of-the-bushing shim. Free spool Works great at any angle now. There's a slight gouge in the spool so I greased 'er good.

Wanted to keep everything original, but the leather washers at the higher drag settings ain't gonna cut it if I'mna fish it. They'er definitely not " smoooth".
Gfish

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on January 16, 2018, 03:19:59 PM
The spool was rubbin on the edge of the bridge plate. Didn't make any metal to metal sound, 'till I took it apart and spun the spool balanced on the right bushing only. Used a hard metal piece of a round clicker pawl as a bottom-of-the-bushing shim. Free spool Works great at any angle now.

Wanted to keep everything original, but the leather washers at the higher drag settings ain't gonna cut it if I'mna fish it. They'er definitely not " smoooth".

Yep...that edge of the bridge plate has rubbed on a few of my reels too.
I figured if you just shimmed it a tad she'd be fine. Those leather washers stutter like Mel Tillis when they get worn to a glazed shiny black. NOS leathers are better, but to fish it you probably better use carbon fiber.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: mo65 on January 16, 2018, 03:45:58 PM
Quote from: Gfish on January 16, 2018, 03:19:59 PM
The spool was rubbin on the edge of the bridge plate. Didn't make any metal to metal sound, 'till I took it apart and spun the spool balanced on the right bushing only. Used a hard metal piece of a round clicker pawl as a bottom-of-the-bushing shim. Free spool Works great at any angle now.

Yep...that edge of the bridge plate has rubbed on a few of my reels too.
I figured if you just shimmed it a tad she'd be fine. Those leather washers stutter like Mel Tillis when they get worn to a glazed shiny black. NOS leathers are better, but to fish it you probably better use carbon fiber.

"Stutter like Mel Tillis" - funny! Mel Tillis passed recently. Great song writer.
Yeah I went ahead and switched 'em. Hopefully I can leave everything else stock...
Gfish