97 Silver Beach w/ Star Drag

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronology of this reel in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

A 1939 Silver Beach 97. Will post questions as I start to go through it
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Externally: tailplate w/ hershy click button, picture plate has a surfishin guy below a sailboat on the horizon, lighthouse on the left side. Arbor with a line- knob in the center. Handle w/ short , fat, no coin edge counter-weight, dark brown torpedo knob. No part numbers as expected. Internally, so far, chromed b. Plate, eccentric and e. Jack. No ring on top a the pinion-darn!. This looks like a strong stock reel, would a 13-500 jigmaster pinion(w/a ring) fit?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

"Vintage Penn's 'er like a box a chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".
Upon opening this'n, I found: chromed bridge plate with the older narrow diameter stud; chromed E. Jack & eccentric, but not the yolk?; brass gear sleeve with 2 pin holes (one slightly higher than the other) -never seen that before in a factory one; and a nice steel gear.
This one's in good condition, very little chrome loss. The leather drag washers gotta go, but I'll probably limit it to that, as changing the bridge plate to one with a newer-thicker stud(for sleeve, etc. upgrades)would be difficult. It's that funny sized Longbeach 60(no numbers on the plate)bridge and finding one with the thicker stud is hard.
Gfish

broadway

You're gonna fish that reel? You found a nice reel, it's up to you what you choose to do with it.  I would leave it alone after a good cleaning and shelf it... or sell it to someone who will care for it and get $20+ and a beater SB for fishing in trade.
Think about it,
Dom
PS_ keep those drags around if you choose to sell it, the buyer ay want original.

Gfish

Good advice Dom. Hmmm... are you hintin around about buyin it?

Decker

Thanks, Gregg.  First time I've ever see one of these.

mo65

I'll agree with Dom...spit shine that puppy and display with pride! A Silverbeach 99 might be a better choice to fish. It has better parts availability, but some parts are a tough find, like the stand. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

broadway

Gfish,
   I have a few of these SB's but think it's a nice place to start a collection, and when shined up she'll be a shelfie in need of some more company. ;)
Keep it up,
Dom

Penn Chronology

One of my favorite Penn reels. Love the 1938 Model 97. It came with the old handle style only for the 1938 model year.

Gfish

Wow, the handle-knob on that '38 is somethin else. I like yours better, wanna trade? Kidding. Does the '38 have a waffel style clicker?
Gfish

broadway

Yes, it should have a waffle click... I think the hershey showed up in '39.
Dom

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on February 04, 2018, 04:02:14 PM
Wow, the handle-knob on that '38 is somethin else.

The '38 handle knob is my favorite...such a cool look. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

Here is the tail plate for the 1938 Silver Beach.