Australian Briad/Plait?

Started by NYIsles55, April 08, 2016, 09:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYIsles55

I was wondering if anybody ever used this knot. I was looking for ways to double line without making too much of a weak point. This knot is a substitution for the Bimini twist, and people who use it swear by it. It keeps all of the line strength like the Bimini, and it is faster and easier to tie than the Bimini, especially with heavier mono. Wondering if anybody has used it and how they like it.

Rothmar2

Yes I have and still do use it. It can be tied in small boat cockpits, unlike Bimini's which for me I prefer to have a bit of space to be able to tie them properly. That's probably a technique thing on my part though.
The only trouble with Plaits is the first few plaits can slip on the mainline when the line is under tension, and the knot "bunches up" a little. You must keep a fair bit of tension on the tag end, and keep the crotch well spread and tight, particularly the first 8-10 plaits. There used to be a product called "Plio Bond" that I used to smear over the first third of knot to stop this slippage, but I have not been able to locate it for some time.
If the knot slips, you might as well not have tied it, as the double strands will become un-even in length, and only one leg will carry the tension. It also looks unsightly.
But yes, done properly, it is fairly easy to tie, and because the knot flexes, does not have an obvious shear point acting on the line, and maintains the lines strength very well.
Above 50lb test, it starts to get a bit bulky. Better to Bimini the heavier lines.

But after its all said and done, Viva the braid to mono top-shot with PR knot set-ups!

SoCalAngler

What lb test spectra to the lb test mono/fluoro are you looking to connect?

Tiddlerbasher

The Australian site run by Paulus has the only data, I've found, that is scientifically derived.

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

The bit you will probably be interested in is under 'Knot Testing & Reviews'
The rest of the site makes for good reading :)

NYIsles55

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 09, 2016, 03:22:42 AM
What lb test spectra to the lb test mono/fluoro are you looking to connect?

Sorry. I just saw this. I'll be using either a 50-60 lb test mono (don't know what I'll use yet brand wise, so open to suggestions) to a swivel, or if I can and it's worth it, 200 lb mono.

Patudo

It's my preferred knot for making a double line for monofilament 30# test and heavier (for making a double line in braid, the properties of braid (more slippery) better suit the bimini twist).  Easier to tie a double line any length you want than the bimini, and it's also a little slimmer in profile.  A double line in 80# goes through the Aftco heavy duty rollers more easily than a bimini.  As Rothmar mentions it's vital the beginning of the plait be absolutely solid.

exp2000

That's all I ever used with mono.

You are constrained by limbs when creating a leader with a Bimini.

With the plait, you can easily create whatever length double you wish.

Reckon you would need some special fingers to tie one in braid though!
~

mike1010

Quote from: exp2000 on April 24, 2016, 05:31:33 PM
Reckon you would need some special fingers to tie one in braid though!
It's not that bad.  There's nothing special about my fingers, and I managed to tie a few of these successfully before deciding that I really prefer the Bimini twist for braid.  I haven't tried the plait for mono.

Mike

willybendit

i use the aussie plait for all of my  double  lines in Nylon and braid  far easier to tie than a bimini while on the move   ive shown most of the kayak anglers that i know how to tie it  along with the cats paw  when joining leaders to wind-on`s