My 454

Started by joel8080, April 08, 2016, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I own the reel since it was new and it's in great condition, inside every part is SS and it has a 4/0 Accurate gear & Delrin washers top and bottom. I have serviced the reel at least 10 times since new, now it developed a noise problem that I can not find where it's coming from and what is causing the noise.
When I spin the spool holding it flat or turning it to the right the sound is perfect when tilting the reel to the left it makes this scratching noise but when I spin the spool backwards it sounds perfect any way I turn the reel.
Any ideas where to look?.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

bluefish69

Bearings or Dirt in the Pinion

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

swill88

Joel, I have had similar problems with Pro Gear reels solved by tweaking the left & right side bearing cups in and out.

Worth a try?

Steve

Bryan Young

You eccentric jack tabs may also need additional bending.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

joel8080

I took the reel apart and cleaned it up, I do not know why I hadn't used it since the last service. The noise is 98% gone and the only thing I could think of that caused was the handle side bearing did not seat well, I  lubed it and put it together as I did last time. it spins like a top and every thing works right.
Again the only thing I could blame the problem was that bearing.
THANKS FOR THE HELP.
Tight Lines

Joel8080
Oceanside,California