What's the rarest Penn model ever made?

Started by pjstevko, April 08, 2016, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm just curious as to the rarest Penn ever made is?

I'd also like to know what models I should look for when I stop at yard sales, flea markets, estate sales and pawn shops....

PJ

Superhook

If you are really interested in OLD & RARE  Penn reels a good start would be to buy Mike Cacioppo's book It will save you money quickly.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12861.0

Ray

foakes

Depends if you are talking a normal production model that had a very short life, PJ --

Or a rare one-off?

Mike or Ray will answer the first question -- plus Mike's book will tell you much about this subject.

I might venture that Dom's RED sideplate 9/0 115 would be my first choice to answer the one-off question.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

I might be mistaken but the Penn Model 286 is hard to come by....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Superhook

One of the Rarest would be Mike's 1932 prototype Model F .

For production list reels the Ocean Side 34-37 are very difficult to find and the number found has been very low.

Ray

Penn Chronology

The category is difficult. As Fred said, are we talking about One-off models, prototypes, special orders reels, presentation reels and on and on. There are many. Ray mentioned my prototype Model F. As far as I know, it is the first Penn reel and extremely rare; but, since I own it, it has been found. There are models that have not been found yet. The 1933 Sea King is a mystery. It is in the 1933 catalog; but, none have been found yet. As Ray said, the Ocean Side models of the early 1930's are very rare, all of them. The 1933 Bay Side is also a very rare Penn reel.

QuoteI might be mistaken but the Penn Model 286 is hard to come by....

No doubt, the Delmar Model 286 is hard to find; but, calling it rare is in the eye of the beholder. I do not call a 286 rare, it is exactly what Tarfu called it, hard to come by. I have sold two of them in the last few months and still have one. Over the years I have had at least a half dozen 286 models. I would say the 286 Delmar box is much harder to find than the reel.

Penn has so many years of production, that a collector has quite a few rare models to search for. That's what makes it a fun brand. And here at the Tani site, if it is not rare, we can build it into a rare reel because of all the custom reel builds and deep thinking hobbyists that reside within these pages. ;D

pjstevko

I guess I'm more interested in the hard to find models that if I come across I can buy and pass on to someone here

Tightlines667

Quote from: pjstevko on April 09, 2016, 01:10:23 AM
I guess I'm more interested in the hard to find models that if I come across I can buy and pass on to someone here

Any prewar  (nonbered/no visable parts numbers) reels, any reel with a waffle style clicker, any reel with obvious German silver parts, (not chromed bronze), any reel with a large coin-edged handle counterweight, any Senator with a first Gen style gearbox (i.e. freespool lever is behind reel'seat centerline), and any new on box/complete package earlier reels.

Just a few good rules of thumb to go by/ look for.  Be aware when bidding on desirable reels (on online sites), you may just be driving the price up against a fellow member/collector though.

If your interested in this stuff, you should really get Mike's books.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

For one-offs -- Tony & Tom from Penn sent me this pic of a green plated 4/0 Senator.

For those of you on the Penn plant tour -- you will see this in the display case in the Lobby.

Right now, Mike's two books (Bibles) about Penn History and Price Values -- are on sale at Whitefish Press.

http://www.whitefishpress.com/

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Oceanreels

Here are some that are pretty rare. First Generation (5 O'clock handle) Penn Senator 16/0, clear plate Long Beach, Red plate Long Beach Long Beach Deluxe, 1938 49 Deep Sea Reel and Gus Walz Tuna King.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

mo65

Quote from: foakes on April 09, 2016, 01:54:52 AM
For one-offs -- Tony & Tom from Penn sent me this pic of a green plated 4/0 Senator.

That is really cool...and the green is a unique shade...nothing like the bright green 26s or the teal green levelwinds. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

I'll add another to the mix. A 1st generation 9/0 with outside access drags.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the reel boxes. Many are far more valuable than the reel and much more difficult to find.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

How about a left hand 349?  I have one and would consider buying more, depending on my funding at the time.... right now is a good time, I can not avoid paying jobs for the last month.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain