Newell Compatibility Questions

Started by steelhead_killer, April 10, 2016, 04:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Good morning! 

Can you mix and match Newell spools between different models of Newell's?  Example: Does a G series 332 spool work in a P series 332?  Additionally, do you need to change out pinions when lengthening or shortening a model?  Example: when you go from 533 to 550, do you also have to change out the pinion?  Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

bigggfish

I am not going to answer this question definitively because as soon as I do I am sure there will be an exception.  On the first, I have not had any trouble switching spools from one series to the next.  I've done it several times.  Usually going from a graphite spool to an aluminum spool. On the second,, I'v only tried this twice, once shortening a 533 to a narrow spool from tiburon and the other going from a 332 to a 322 and both times, I did NOT have to change pinions.  Worked fine.  Good Luck.

Yogi_fish808

Aloha Andy,
From my experience changing spools has worked fine for me. I've switched between graphite to aluminum spools on a few 338s. Stretched a 332 to 338/344 and widened 540's with tiburon 546 frame and spools. "Stretching" reels here (ex 533 to 550/631 to 646) in Hawaii is pretty common since more line is always a good thing, large GT's have been known to completely spool 114HLW's loaded with 80-100lb mono. I think I've read somewhere than the low speed 3.2:1 500 series newells have different thickness spool shafts and pinions than the high speed models but that's the only ones that aren't swapable that i can remember.

Shakas,
Kyle

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Newell Nut

Everybody answered you pretty well. We can play with the 3.2 widths with the inserts that Tom built for me but without these inserts don't even think about it. Example is that I think that I have the only 533 3.2 by using the inserts and it is a sweet setup. The inserts slip over the thin shaft of a 4.6 spool and takes up the space inside the larger pinion of a 3.2.

The older Blackies may be a little contrary. Jerry can cover these.

thinkwahoo

The early aluminum spools and early G series graphite spools were a little larger in diameter, and may prove to be a little tight in the C and S series because those plastic spools were a little smaller in diameter, and the inside cage rings were stamped to fit them.

The 3.6:1, 4:1, and 5:1 have been interchangeable from the beginning when matched up to the appropriate main gear. The 5:1 is used in the 5.5:1 reels, and the 4:1 is used in the 4.6:1. These pinion gears all have the same ID so the fit the spool pinion shaft.

The 540, 3.2:1 is sort of an odd ball because they used a spool shaft with larger diameter spindles, so the pinion has a larger ID.  Dwight has had inserts made that will allow these spools to fit in the higher gear ratio reels.

The 600 series all used the larger spool shafts, pinion gears, and main gears in gear ratio of 3:1, and 4.2:1.