201 Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Since this thread is over two years old and no posts, here are some pics
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Nice reels Chris !
I do like the Surfmaster reels, looks like there getting some use too.

Col

sdlehr

I knew we'd eventually need this thread, but now, after 2 years, I've forgotten the story of the Surfmaster 201. Why are they so scarce? I'm sure this was covered in one of Mike's books, but I need a review.
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Sid, the 201 had short production run.

I wouldn't say they are rare. I see them on eBay every so often and usually can be bought for under $30.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Thanks, Ted. I figured such. What makes the 201 different from the 200? Spool width? Narrower?
Sid Lehr

1badf350

It has no star drag and no antireverse. Its a knucklebuster. It sold poorly for a short run between 1940-42. I would respectfully disagree with Ted on their rarity. This is the first Ive seen in two years. I could be wrong, but I would buy every one I saw for $30
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 24, 2018, 07:23:04 PM
It has no star drag and no antireverse. Its a knucklebuster.
Doh, I looked too fast and didn't even notice that. That explains the limited production run and low popularity. I've not seen a 201 in over 2 years of looking (that I can recall) either.
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 24, 2018, 07:23:04 PM
It has no star drag and no antireverse. Its a knucklebuster. It sold poorly for a short run between 1940-42. I would respectfully disagree with Ted on their rarity. This is the first Ive seen in two years. I could be wrong, but I would buy every one I saw for $30
Yeah, same here Chris, I would buy them by the dozen.
I have not been that lucky on spotting them on line😏

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Perhaps my interpretation as "rare" is completely different than others.

If a 3 year production run defines rare, then the green 109,209, and #9 must be even rarer, because only 2 year production run.

To me a 201 is uncommon, but calling it rare would put every production model Penn into that category with model K.

A rare Penn to me would be a red 9/0, or green 2/0, red long beach 60, a Coronado with no star, a clear sideplates long beach 60, a 1st gen 16/0, a 1st gen 9/0 with outer access drags, a factory cavity mold, a prototype catalog....etc

Didn't mean to insult anyone, just showing that we all have different definition of rare

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Right Ted, that's the way I like my steaks.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 24, 2018, 09:50:26 PM

A rare Penn to me would be a red 9/0, or green 2/0, red long beach 60, a Coronado with no star, a clear sideplates long beach 60, a 1st gen 16/0, a 1st gen 9/0 with outer access drags, a factory cavity mold, a prototype catalog....etc

But your word system, whatever you use, should be able to distinguish truly uncommon/rare production reels from one-of-a-kind reels such as those listed above.

And I believe that green Senator on the shelf in Philly is a 4/0.
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on November 26, 2018, 06:13:12 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on November 24, 2018, 09:50:26 PM

But your word system, whatever you use, should be able to distinguish truly uncommon/rare production reels from one-of-a-kind reels such as those listed above.

And I believe that green Senator on the shelf in Philly is a 4/0.
If anyone else read what I had written above and saw it as a criticism of Ted it was not intended to be anything of the sort. It was a lamentation that we don't have enough words in common use to distinguish between a one of a kind rarity (like a home made reel or a modification) and a rare production reel (which should, IMHO, be left as it was the day it left the factory). We call both of them "rare" and then argue what "rare" really means as though there should be a better word for one of them so we don't have to call them both the same thing.
Sid Lehr

1badf350

Wow! There was almost $40 shipping in addition.

-Chris

milne

Hi Chris,
             I was seriously looking at this 201 when it was first listed, but even the early bids got to rich for me.
      I clicked back on at the end of the auction and saw the frenzy of bids at the end, yep, WOW.
  Reminded me of your thread here !!!!!!
It looked like a nice reel,  with 3 or 4 people seriously wanting it in there collection..........

Col