170 Light Tackle Casting reel; Model 170

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 08:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Points taken. 

I avoid boxes like the plague and am trying to abuse and destroy all my reels so the successors can just shovel it all into the trash instead of having to wonder what to do with it :)

-steve

mo65

I've been reading this thread all along...and what baffles me is...how in the world do you find two of these things at once? I can't even find a piece of one. Way ta go milne! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Mo65,   Once I started to find out different facts about Penn on here, I realised how hard they are to obtain.
          I guess I've been lucky to find them.  I am armed with a little more knowledge now, thanks to this site, and the excellent replies
      and information given out here which is appreciated.
        As mentioned, I will certainly be jumping on Mike's book when it becomes available again.
        I just love these pre war reels !!!

Col

sdlehr

One thing that Dom touched upon but I haven't really seen addressed is that there are sometimes subtle differences between similar parts from year to year. Screw head sizes and shapes change, tie-off posts or holes in spool arbors change position, etc. I have been known to mic some parts prior to replacement/substitution to be sure I was replacing like for like - and you almost have to do that sometimes. One thing I've never seen mentioned (that I can recall) is how the hole in the arbor changed position from 1933 on - it started closer to one end and over the years moved its way towards the middle. It doesn't just have to fit and look right, it has to be original to substitute parts properly.

ONe of the parts that changed the most (and is probably least known) is the set screw for the handle nut. The threads were always the same, but the head of the screw changed size and shape multiple times over the years. I must have about four different size replacements in my parts bin....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteONe of the parts that changed the most (and is probably least known) is the set screw for the handle nut. The threads were always the same, but the head of the screw changed size and shape multiple times over the years. I must have about four different size replacements in my parts bin....

That is true and it falls into one of those, ""Who Cares"" categories. I feel the screw changed because that single screw is the same no matter what reel you have. The set screw on a Penn 180 is the same set screw on a Penn 16/0. Vintage I feel may also have something to do with the variance.