286 Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 09:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

Here's a Penn reel that always mystifies. The Penn Delmar, Model 286 is not mentioned in any Penn Catalog, consequently, it should not exist. But it does and with some supposition and educated guessing, we can create a probable history for this model. Penn introduced the Delmar model name in 1941. This model was a low end reel aimed at, in my opinion, people that wanted to fish occasionally, wanted a full featured reel; but, did not want to spend too much for that full featured reel. The Delmar model gave you everything a Long Beach gave you without using reinforced side plates and dropping the price by 40%. There were two Delmar models in 1941 and, I believe 1942, the Model 285 and 286. The Delmar existed in two sizes only for these two pre-war years.
               I am of the opinion, the Model 286 was created for the Reel Rental markets and was probably never released for the general population.

The 300 yard Delmar is a hot item. I have sold about a half dozen of them over the years and they never cease to amaze me. I sold one about a month ago, starting the auction low and ending the auction at over $100. I have one left in a reasonable facsimile box. The original boxes are much harder to find than the reels are; but, not impossible.

Having the box is critical to establishing the production era of the Model 286. Since the Delmar "285" is a pre-war introduction of 1941 in the #9 Penn catalog at a price of $4.00, we can document the Model 285 beginning exactly. Having the box for the Model 286 gives us a price point for the Model 286 at a logical amount over the smaller sister Model "285". In 1942, the Model "285" had a price increase to $4.25, still keeping the $4.75 price of the model 286 still in the realm of logic.

Then came the war and all production stops. Production resumes in 1946 with the Model "285" at a price of $5.00, making the $4.75 price of the Delmar 286 no longer logical. No other Delmar 286 boxes found have ever been found with a higher price than $4.75. This is how I come to the conclusion that the Delmar, Model 286 only existed in 1941 and 1942.  

So what about the reel. it is a interesting creation. The Torpedo knob is a hard wood rather than Catalin Bakelite. In my opinion, the wood knob is a low end product in the 1940's. Plastics are modern in the 1940's, wood is primitive in that era. All Delmar Model 286's I have seen have stippled head plates

And stippled tail plates

One thing buyers must be careful about is mis-represented reels. I have seen Model 285's expanded to 300 yard reels and presented as Model 286's and I have seen  Delmar's built in the 250 yard size using a 286 head plate. All parts can be interchanged between the models. If the logo is dirty or muddy it can be easily mistaken for the wrong model.
Here is what you need to see in the logo, no matter how the reel is built.

This is what separates a $15 Delmar from a $100 Delmar.

All pre-war Delmar models should show no part numbers on any of their parts.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 15, 2016, 02:42:26 AM

So what about the reel. it is a interesting creation. The Torpedo knob is a hard wood rather than Catalin Bakelite. In my opinion, the wood knob is a low end product in the 1940's. Plastics are modern in the 1940's, wood is primitive in that era

One thing buyers must be careful about is mis-represented reels.
This is what separates a $15 Delmar from a $100 Delmar.

All pre-war Delmar models should show no part numbers on any of their parts.

So I guess it's no surprise one like this pops up. Against most of what Mike just described. It is100% era correct 286, but has metal spool and clamp seat instead of standard seat and plastic spool. This one also has a steel or nickel plated bridge plate.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Many of these old Penns appear to have been hopped up in their youth with better stands and spools...much the same way we hop 'em up now. Great reel Ted! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Is a hot-rodded vintage reel more or less desirable than an original?  Is it  more or less valuable?  I my humble opinion, it's less.  You can make the original stronger for fishing, but you can't make it better.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on November 25, 2016, 09:20:18 AM
Is a hot-rodded vintage reel more or less desirable than an original?  Is it  more or less valuable? 

I find these early hot rods very interesting... it's much like finding a Harley-Davidson "bobber" exactly as it was customized in the late 50s. It's all in the eye of the beholder...one guy's cool retro-rod is another guy's parts reel. 8) 

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on November 25, 2016, 02:02:53 PM
Quote from: oc1 on November 25, 2016, 09:20:18 AM
Is a hot-rodded vintage reel more or less desirable than an original?  Is it  more or less valuable? 

I find these early hot rods very interesting... it's much like finding a Harley-Davidson "bobber" exactly as it was customized in the late 50s. It's all in the eye of the beholder...one guy's cool retro-rod is another guy's parts reel. 8) 

.......Couldn't have said it better myself Mo........and BTW,  those bobber Harleys are highly sought after !! :o :o

oc1

That's a very valid opinion.  Only time will tell for sure.
-steve

Bill B

As I have shared else where, picked this up on a charity auction site.....A 286 WITH THE BOX!!!!!

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuoteAs I have shared else where, picked this up on a charity auction site.....A 286 WITH THE BOX!!!!!

Absolutely fabulous find. Congrats on the 286 and the BOX!! The boxes are very hard to find.

Maxed Out

Your diligent searches are paying off nicely. The boxes weren't made to last 75+ years unless properly stored. Flat out great score !!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65