285 Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

I am missing something here. What is an 85 Delmar?

Superhook

I think that the "2" went missing in "285" .

Penn Chronology

sdlehr

Quote from: Superhook on April 14, 2016, 01:10:53 AM
I think that the "2" went missing in "285" .
Nah, just me not knowing what I'm writing about... The similarities between the 85 and 285 made me think that they were in the same family (they are) with the same name (they are not) with a different number.  I'll correct the heading. Thanks for pointing that out...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

mo65

I bought this Delmar 285 just to get the power handle. I never even knew it had mottled side plates 'til it arrived in the mail...eBay pic was notoriously poor...looked black as pitch! I yanked the power handle off, cleaned her up and lubed the internals, and added the correct handle. I bet Penn sold a blue million of these...that was one badass lookin' reel for their asking price!  8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Stippled tail plate even. Love that red handle. Nice reel!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

I have seen those handles sell for $30+ not long ago. Nice!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI bought this Delmar 285 just to get the power handle. I never even knew it had mottled side plates 'til it arrived in the mail...eBay pic was notoriously poor...looked black as pitch! I yanked the power handle off, cleaned her up and lubed the internals, and added the correct handle. I bet Penn sold a blue million of these...that was one badass lookin' reel for their asking price!  Cool

This is the most enjoyable part of collecting. making a simple buy for a particular part and finding a treasure attached to that part. The red power handle is a great find; but, the mottled reel is the real treasure of the buy. The degree of mottling is what makes them more or less desirable. I suspect yours, presented properly in an online auction would bring a very good price.

mo65

I don't know how I'm ending up with these Delmars...I'm not even a big fan of the reel...but I had another unique one fall in my lap. I spent the day looking around for any like this one, couldn't find any info, but I'm sure I've seen these colored plates before. The metal parts on this reel are beyond "geuine character"...it's more like completely shot! :D  I'm considering doing a frankenreel with these plates. Like a Delmar 286 type thing...widening with Longbeach 65 parts. 8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm considering doing a frankenreel with these plates. Like a Delmar 286 type thing...widening with Longbeach 65 parts. Cool

You can easily do that; but, the end result is an easy reel to see as a modified, rather than true model. To have a true Model 286 Delmar, the number in the molded in logo must be 286.

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 25, 2016, 06:26:10 AM
You can easily do that; but, the end result is an easy reel to see as a modified, rather than true model. To have a true Model 286 Delmar, the number in the molded in logo must be 286.

I was just doing the widening thing so my two Delmars would be different. I guess it all depends on how rare/collectible the multi-colored plates are. Do you think these plates are too unique to "hot rod"?

basto

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 25, 2016, 06:26:10 AM
QuoteI'm considering doing a frankenreel with these plates. Like a Delmar 286 type thing...widening with Longbeach 65 parts. Cool

[/quote

This brings to mind a 501 I bought that had a 500 head plate on it. The number on the plate was not shown on the photos in the advert. I was very disappointed.
Bsto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteI was just doing the widening thing so my two Delmars would be different. I guess it all depends on how rare/collectible the multi-colored plates are. Do you think these plates are too unique to "hot rod"?

Making it wider is no problem, you could always bring it back. I would save the old parts and play with the plates.