285 Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Sid, where are you going to get the PLASTIC 65 spool ??

Do you have some secret stash from 1941 we don't know about ??  :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Which LB65's had plastic spools? Would it have LS on the side plate? Do they have a yardage stamp on the foot? Just curious I have a few with plastic spools, is it just 1941 LB65's
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 17, 2017, 06:26:48 AM
Sid, where are you going to get the PLASTIC 65 spool ??

Do you have some secret stash from 1941 we don't know about ??  :D
No, I don't, I overlooked the spool. Otherwise the transition from LB to Delmar would be pretty straightforward. I have a 286 at home with a real 286 head plate and now I'm wondering what spool is on it. I'll check when I get back home. Thanks for pointing out the fallacy in my argument.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Question, Ted you stated  "BUT the 286 sports a plastic 65 spool....."  can you shed a little light how you determine it is a 65 spool.....  I seems to me pre-war reels do not have part numbers, so does the shape of the spool tell us it's a 65LB spool?   Thank you for any input....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Bill,
  There was a 65 that was made for one year that possessed a plastic spool which is an exact match for the plastic 300 yd Delmar 286 spool. It doesn't have any numbers on it as it was made prior to putting numbers on all their parts.  You would pretty much have to measure or just give it a try if you did;t actually pull it off a 65LS.  There is another reel's spool that will fit and thats' a Sea Gate 126, 300 yd'er.  Ted is right when he says that removing a 65LS spool to put on a Delmar would be insane, unless of course, the spool was the only decent part on that 65LS.
Good to know 65 posts fit 286 Delmars.
Dom

Maxed Out

....ok, I see I have created a bit of confusion.......let me clarify a couple things....

...we know the lb60 & 65 switched to plastic spools just prior to the war. This is the same time frame when the 286 appeared for very short time. The lb60 & 65 continued with plastic spools in '46,47, and 48....BUT those plastic spools were redesigned after the war. A correct 286 delmar would have the pre war version of the 65 plastic spool. That's what I meant by declaring the correct spool for a 286 is rare as hens teeth cause the only other reel it came on was a pre war long beach 65LS.....a rare reel by itself

Here you'll see a pre war 60 spool compared to the post war 60, and 65 comparison as well. Notice the ribbon that is where the arbor meets the flanges at point of the knife. That went away after the war for a more rounded transition from arbor to flanges
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Thank you, that clears things up.  Just checked my 286 and sure enough it has the ribbon at the arbor flange joint......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

Quote....ok, I see I have created a bit of confusion.......let me clarify a couple things....

...we know the lb60 & 65 switched to plastic spools just prior to the war. This is the same time frame when the 286 appeared for very short time. The lb60 & 65 continued with plastic spools in '46,47, and 48....BUT those plastic spools were redesigned after the war. A correct 286 delmar would have the pre war version of the 65 plastic spool. That's what I meant by declaring the correct spool for a 286 is rare as hens teeth cause the only other reel it came on was a pre war long beach 65LS.....a rare reel by itself

Here you'll see a pre war 60 spool compared to the post war 60, and 65 comparison as well. Notice the ribbon that is where the arbor meets the flanges at point of the knife. That went away after the war for a more rounded transition from arbor to flanges

Excellent point of information! Ted is 100% correct. I have a 65L.S. & a 286 Delmar. They both have the correct spool with the bump where the flange meets to arbor. Of course mine are not nearly as shinny as Ted's!........<:O)

QuoteThere is another reel's spool that will fit and thats' a Sea Gate 126, 300 yd'er.  Ted is right when he says that removing a 65LS spool to put on a Delmar would be insane, unless of course, the spool was the only decent part on that 65LS... the same would go for the Sea Gate 126.

Dom, that exchange is not true. The Sea Gate 126 was only made in 1939 and had a metal spool (a relatively rare reel). After that the Sea Gate 125 stood alone with a smaller plastic spool that would not work on a LB 65 or Delmar 286. This fact makes that 65L.S. / 286 spool a bit more elusive.............<:O) Here is the only true Sea Gate 126 I have ever found and the damn thing is the wrong color.................<:O(

coastal_dan

I'm still blown away at how much you guys know about these finite details.  Flippin' awesome.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

broadway

Thanks for that tid bit, Mike.  I bought a 300 yd Sea Gate last year with a plastic spool with the "ribbons" on the flanges so I assumed that's how they came from Penn.  Especially, due to the fact that the Sea Gate 125 was exclusively a plastic spooled reel.  Thanks for the correction.  That's an easy fix with an LB 65 spool, and now I will have my 2nd factory correct Delmar 286's spool that I needed to replace due to spreading.
This was a very helpful exchange,
Dom
PS- I struck my comment above and left it so people can see what we're talking about, but to let them know it's incorrect.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for that tid bit, Mike.  I bought a 300 yd Sea Gate last year with a plastic spool with the "ribbons" on the flanges so I assumed that's how they came from Penn.  Especially, due to the fact that the Sea Gate 125 was exclusively a plastic spooled reel.  Thanks for the correction.  That's an easy fix with an LB 65 spool, and now I will have my 2nd factory correct Delmar 286's spool that I needed to replace due to spreading.
This was a very helpful exchange,
Dom
PS- I struck my comment above and left it so people can see what we're talking about, but to let them know it's incorrect.

These kind of facts get discovered by discussion. It is not easy to get all the little things documented. The plastic spool specifics are not documented anywhere. We can thank Ted, for that learning experience. The Sea Gate fact is documented in the catalog. Always glad when little things get removed from the "Hearsay History" category.

oc1

Is it the spool alone that differentiates a 125 from a 126?  They do not have a number embossed in the head plate.  Sorry, this drifting away from the Delmar.

-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 19, 2017, 07:43:55 AM
Is it the spool alone that differentiates a 125 from a 126?  They do not have a number embossed in the head plate.  Sorry, this drifting away from the Delmar.

Let's see if I can describe this in a manner that eliminates confusion.

The Delmar 285 and Seagate 125 are the same width as a LB60.
             The Delmar 286 and Seagate 126 are the same width as a LB65.

The lowly Delmar has probably never received this much attention, it's kinda fun! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

Steve,  Sea Gate 125- plastic spool and 250 yd reel. no numbers on the head plate.
           Sea Gate 126- metal spool and 300 yd reel. no numbers on the head plate.- Much harder find!
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteSteve,  Sea Gate 125- plastic spool and 250 yd reel. no numbers on the head plate.
           Sea Gate 126- metal spool and 300 yd reel. no numbers on the head plate.- Much harder find!
Dom

Dom is 100% correct. The yardage numbers for the Sea Gate is on the bottom of the stand. Head and Tail plates are the same for both models.

The concept for the existence of the Sea Gate is lowering cost for a full featured reel in the same category as the Long Beach. Many Party (Head) Boats used Sea Gates for their rental reels. Since most Party Boats buy in quantity, the slightly reduced costs mattered to them. Sea Gates were also built different sometimes, using colored plates and hex shaped clicker buttons. I find the variant models interesting, especially the Model 126--300 yard reel.