285 Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Brother that's well done. My favorite stock grip too.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Ted.
I love it when a plan comes together. ;)
I'm still looking for a Star for a 612B True Temper/Ocean City.
I haven't given up hope.
That reel is Bangin'!
Life is Good!

George4741

Nice, I like those marbled plates and look for them, too.
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Ted, that tailplate is beyond repair (unless it was a collectible, it could have been repaired but it would've been more work than it was worth), but I probably could have repaired the chip in the headplate for you relatively easily.... if you weren't worried about matching color too much.... and I know you were, so just file this away for the future...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

So it was you who bought those hippie tie~dye Delmars? Hee hee...I should have known. I saw both of them listed, I keep tabs on these since I have one. Definitely one of my favorite Penns. I often wonder why Penn didn't put multi color plates on more models. She looks fantastic Ted! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Sometimes shipping($12) costs more than the reel($10), but this 285 looks to be 100% correct pre war era, so I figured it was worth the $22.....plus I love that leather thumb drag assist, hex clicker button, wood knob, and the 300yds stamped under the seat......all of which are era correct

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 15, 2017, 07:16:41 PM
  I love that leather thumb drag assist, hex clicker button, wood knob, and the 300yds. stamped under the seat.

This is either another one of Ted's trick posts...or that's a 286. The 285 is a 250yd. reel, same as the LB 60. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis is either another one of Ted's trick posts...or that's a 286. The 285 is a 250yd. reel, same as the LB 60. Cool

Yup, this is a tricky post. A 300 yard Delmar is a 286, not a 285. Or is it???

Maxed Out

Logo says 285 and I'm 99% certain this is how it left the factory as a 300yd 285

broadway

That's a 286 with a 285 head plate.  I have one like that also.
$22 Score!!!!!
Nice find Ted,
Dom

sdlehr

Did the older Long Beach 65's have a 300-YD stamp on the foot? I don't think I've ever seen one, but it seems they should exist.... if so, couldn't anyone make a 286 with 285 plates? Am I missing something here? Wouldn't the stock LB 65 be of greater value?

Sid
Sid Lehr

broadway

Sid,
   Yes the early 65 LB's were stamped 300 YDS. on the stand, but I'm not sure they would be interchangeable as the LB has inner rings and the delmar is ring-less not to mention if the whole pattern matches up. 
Yes, to your last question... typically an LB fetches more money than a delmar for many reasons unless it's a special delmar like a 286 or colored delmar, etc.
As with most Penn reels we can make a bunch of different reels with the same parts, but each reel often has its little tell tales for the most part.  That's why using period correct parts aren't enough when restoring these reels.  If I used a pre-war delmar non handle side bushing cup on a pre-war Long Beach it would fit and operate properly, but they are not the same when looking closely, as you know.  The shape, knurling, finish, size, etc. may be a hair different so to me it wouldn't be considered factory/era correct.  We also know Penn used up there parts so what I just said really goes out the window, so who the heck really knows.  Lots of variables! Ted may be a whiz with Penn's interchangeable parts, but his magic wasn't put on this one or any of his pre-war reels for that matter.
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on December 17, 2017, 01:41:16 AM
Did the older Long Beach 65's have a 300-YD stamp on the foot? I don't think I've ever seen one, but it seems they should exist.... if so, couldn't anyone make a 286 with 285 plates? Am I missing something here? Wouldn't the stock LB 65 be of greater value?

Sid

Good question Sid.....here is my short answer  ;D  ;D....yes to all the above, BUT the 286 sports a plastic 65 spool..... where are you gonna find a 65 plastic spool that was only made for less than a year ?? You'd have to sacrifice a long beach 65LS which is ultra rare. Either way, try to build a pre war 286 out of a 285 would not be easy if you had all the correct components, a few of which are rare as hens teeth....and as Dom pointed out it is nearly impossible to match patina and plating when you start swapping parts to try and build a 1941 reel from several donors, and to build a nice reel you need nice donors, and it would be a sin to use nice condition pre war reels for donors.

....oh and I sold my last 286 for around $150, so it's doubtful a lb65 from same era would fetch same amount as a 286

Ted

sdlehr

Quote from: broadway on December 17, 2017, 04:41:41 AM
Sid,
  Yes the early 65 LB's were stamped 300 YDS. on the stand, but I'm not sure they would be interchangeable as the LB has inner rings and the delmar is ring-less not to mention if the whole pattern matches up.
If the posts and spools are interchangeable (they are) then the stands are also the same width. One can use LB posts on a Delmar and vice versa. I believe the hole patterns are also the same, but I'm not home to be able to prove it. I'm quite sure the LB and Delmar plates have the same hole pattern, in fact, many of Penn's reels have that exact same hole pattern - all the LB look-alikes do. The #15 and #80 also have the same hole pattern, as well as others. I think Penn saved on tooling making so many things of the same dimensions between different reels - only one jig was needed to bend a whole bunch of different model stands, for instance. They used the same jigs to drill holes in different model's rings and plates. The Delmar plates must be built up with more Bakelite the same amount as the LB plates are with the trim rings so the posts and stands are interchangeable.

Based on this, I would say that it would be pretty easy to take an early LB65 and put a 285 head plate on it (and tail plate as well) and call it a 286 with a 285 head plate. That doesn't make it a 286, nor does it make it as valuable as a 286... and that also doesn't mean Ted's reel didn't leave the factory as we see it above.... Penn made the rules as they went along, as you mentioned.
Sid Lehr