285 Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Just want to make sure Im not loosing mind mind, but this 85 does not belong in the 285 box  ???
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

I have no idea Bill, but there is this...

-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust want to make sure Im not loosing mind mind, but this 85 does not belong in the 285 box  Huh?

If you found an 85 in a 285 box, you either have the wrong reel in the right box or the right reel in the wrong box.

Bill B

OK, so I haven't lost too many brain cells.  Good thing I have a 285 on the shlf to go with the box and i won't feel bad salvaging the spool for an early 111 Senator.....Thanks guys.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Well, it's a 85, not a 285, but this one looks very similar to reels posted by Mo early in this thread
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

PacRat

She's a beauty Ted! Got any more photos?

Maxed Out

Hi Mike, here is a shot of the tailplate

mo65

Fantastic find Ted! I've always wondered why these beautifully colored side plates were only relegated to 85s and 185s. Why didn't they turn out a few mottled Mariners or Senators? Can you imagine a 16/0 with this coloring?? :al
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

That's awesome Ted!  Out of all the cool, rare, and collectible Penn's out there, the mottled and multicolored ones were always my favorite!  I don't know what it is about them, but they are just so cool!  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shellbelly

Quote from: mo65 on January 26, 2023, 01:38:49 PMWhy didn't they turn out a few mottled Mariners or Senators? Can you imagine a 16/0 with this coloring?? :al
I've wondered about that, too.  Also, why stop?  This would have been a defining characteristic.

I don't know about making bakelite, but maybe achieving these colorations required more attention and cost.

Anyway, I'm glad to see survivors.  A 16/0 with plates like that would suck the air out of a room!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

nelz

Wow Ted, that is COOL  :d

Maxed Out

Here is the rest of the head plate, and the inside of the tailplate.

xjchad

How in the world do you guys find those things???  Haha! :al
Husband, Father, Fisherman

1badf350

Thats a stunner Ted!!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"