Squidder????

Started by sdlehr, April 12, 2016, 03:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

This might be a really obvious question to everyone except me, but what does the word "squidder" mean. I bring it up because, obviously (or not) of the name of the reel, the Squidder 140, or 146, or another version, but is "squidding" another word for surf fishing, or are there people that actually use a Squidder to catch squid (can it really be so simple?). Are there places known for good "squidding"? I've never caught a squid surf fishing. I do like me some calamari, so there could be practical implications, I suppose. I have seen squid while scuba diving; they are clearly intelligent creatures; the way they change and flash colors and patterns is incredible!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Ron Jones

In "The Complete Guide to Surf Fishing," Captain Al Ristori describes squidding as a form of surf fishing. It sounds to me like it was basically casting tied hoochies into the surf. This is where the swappable spool came from, linen line could be spooled in sufficient quantity to fish the surf, and a heavier line could be used off a boat. The spools allowed the purchase of one reel for multiple applications.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

thorhammer

way back in the day, tin block metal spoons were called "squids". The squidder had origins with its ball bearings and finned spool that casts these lighter baits (lighter than lead sinkers). Surfcasting with these spoons was called "squidding". I wasn't around then, lol, but I read it somewhere.

J

foakes

Quote from: thorhammer on April 12, 2016, 03:07:54 PM
way back in the day, tin block metal spoons were called "squids". The squidder had origins with its ball bearings and finned spool that casts these lighter baits (lighter than lead sinkers). Surfcasting with these spoons was called "squidding". I wasn't around then, lol, but I read it somewhere.

J

John is right, from what I have recalled reading somewhere.

Squidding was the style of fishing -- not the target.

Squidders were primarily surf casting reels with ball bearings, quick release spools for rapid change out as conditions changed, light aero dynamic finned composite spools for longer casting, a wide spool in order to have more of the old dacron come off the spool easier, and a second eccentric in order to reverse the spool rotation -- while remaining in gear.  

This last feature was useful when a skilled surf caster was casting these light metal "squid jig" spooners.  One could slightly adjust the bait to more realistically simulate the action of prey -- as the under current ebbed, surged, or laid down momentarily.  An experienced and observant angler could use this to their advantage as they "felt" what their bait was doing to simulate a more natural presentation. Plus sometimes when a bait got hung up on rocks or something else -- it could just be reversed a bit to let the pressure off, and possibly saving the setup.

Many of these old Squid baits were made of tin with lead at certain spots melted on for weight.  They could be bent to suit the anglers technique and preferences.  Plus many of these were store bought -- but many were either homemade -- or modified by bending and polishing the tin and lead.  In old tackle boxes -- I still find these occasionally.  The lead has turned white -- but they will still clean up and work.

In Mike's book, Mike mentions that the Squidder was an expensive reel for its day.  That is why Otto Henze came out with the Surfmaster series at around 60% of a Squidder price.  Mr. Henze was a smart guy -- with his finger and ear on the market.  

That is why Penn dominated the market -- they were listening, fishing along-side other fisherman -- and proactive in introducing new and sometimes less expensive products that would increase their market share.

A VW Karman Ghia was sometimes referred to as a "Poor Man's Porsche" -- and a Surfmaster was nicknamed a "Poor Man's Squidder".

Personally, I consider a Squidder one of the finest reels ever made -- smart, clever, adaptable, strong, and capable.  They can be fished extremely well as stock -- or upgraded as one wishes.

Too bad Penn has discontinued these great old reliable gatekeepers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

So when one went "Squidding" one cast "metal squids" in the surf. I presume they thought the baits imitated squid? Thanks for the info. It's amazing what we can do in a short period by consulting the collective brainpower....

Sid
Sid Lehr

AlcoholicFisherman

In addition to the information that everyone else has posted, here's a selection from a book I found which includes a brief description and even some guidelines on how to make one yourself: https://goo.gl/7pS7hj

conchydong

Quote from: sdlehr on April 12, 2016, 08:37:21 PM
So when one went "Squidding" one cast "metal squids" in the surf. I presume they thought the baits imitated squid? Thanks for the info. It's amazing what we can do in a short period by consulting the collective brainpower....

Sid

Sid, not really sure of that as the tin Squids resembled "thickened spoons" more so than squids. They were very popular with commercial King Mackerel fishermen in the "old" days of commercial fishing in the Florida Keys. Many fishermen carried a piece of emery cloth in their pockets to give them a quick shine as needed. As a youngster in the 60's I grew up around commercial fishing and remember the "squids" quite well.

sdlehr

Thanks, Scott. I wonder why they became known as squids then....

Sid
Sid Lehr

oc1

Between the linen line generation and monofilament surf casting was done with an abrasion resistant but stretchy braided nylon called squidding line.  You can still buy it in our local tackle shop and some old guys still use it.  I had always assumed that the term 'squidding'  was derived from the bait as descriptions of surf casting terminal tackle usually included instructions on how to properly put squid on the hook.  Wasn't it a Northeast thing?
-steve

sdlehr

I just read the Squidder section of Mike's Penn Chronology and he defines "squidding" exactly as we have elucidated here. I should've just looked up the answer in Mike's book....

Sid
Sid Lehr

Legal Bill

Come on up to Massachusetts now.  The squid are in.  Whatever else the squid name is used for, you can jig up some nice calamari for the next week or two.

captquint99

Squidding is the act of retrieving the lure through the water. Fast squidding or slow squidding the lure or jig is the rate of retrieve and the old timers really paid attention to this detail to put fish in the boat. Only the real old timers in the northeast still use the term squidding. Just about everyone calls it jigging now.  The Squidder with a gear ratio of 3.3:1 was considered fast for the time the reel was made in 1938. When the jigmaster came out that changed everything with a 4:1 gear ratio and larger spool diameter  if you needed a fast retrieve you didn't have to work as hard with a jigmaster as with a squidder.