Penn Model 85 name changes through the years

Started by sdlehr, April 12, 2016, 06:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: TARFU on September 04, 2016, 11:28:19 PM
JDM....you should back away very carefully, pack it up and send it to me.....no questions asked, I will properly dispose of it for you, no need to get the authorities involved  ::)

I'd pay $12 for that all week long, great buy and great platform to expand on.....Bill

Lol Thanks bill. I figured it was a good deal. I can't wait to tinker with it. I need a conventional rod.

mizmo67

That's 4 x this week, Ed. :) I just looked it up.

We appreciate the business...but yes, holding off a few days 'til you see if you need something else is always recommended to keep the shipping costs down for you.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

USN_ED

Well, since my above post about my 85 Seaboy where I said; "I don't plan to fish it any time soon so I think I'll put some PENN grease on the clicker, clicker spring, and main gear and button it up.", I decided to take Rudy's suggestion and rebuild the 85 Seaboy.  Soooooooooooooo, I ordered up some parts (yes, more than one part at the same time this time) opened it up and replaced the stock plastic spool with a black, aluminum, 29L-85 spool as shown.

While I had it apart, I installed a 6-60SP Drag Kit with PENN HT-100 drag washers and metals.  Before installing them, I greased them with Cal's grease.  Although I had shiny new frame posts and a shiny new stand, I didn't install them.  I instead used the original parts - just polished them as best I could with metal polish.  The original parts are not chrome but instead I think are nickle plated.  Oh, something new to me was that when I took the bridge out, a copper colored leaf-spring fell out and it took me a bit to figure out how it and the dog went back in.

Anyway, here is the finished project.  It's not all new and shiny looking but I like the look.

I think that by installing the new HT-100 drag kit and by installing the new aluminum spool that this reel has been strengthened quite a bit and should be a good user - maybe a nice trolling rig.

Thanks to Scott's Bait & Tackle - again!!!

ED

RowdyW

Ed, anybody can buy a new reel from a tackle store, but servicing an oldie & taking it fishing & actually catching fish is the height of accomplishment. And having fun is the best part.     Rudy

mo65

Great job Ed, that 85 is as clean inside as any I've seen. I like the old nickle finished reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

That'll catch fish all day long good job sir....if I could add one piece of advice, just be a little more liberal with the Penn Blue grease on the inside.....adds a little more corrosion protection on the gizzards and that will fish all day long for another 50 years....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

49Freak

Great thread, great photos, and great advice, but I'm a little confused and it doesn't take much. Did I miss the name changes part along the way? Anyway, learned something else as I'm digging that black aluminum spool, 29L-85. Thanks Ed! Zowie, that's put some ideas spinning around in my head.  ;D

USN_ED

Thanks for all the positive/nice comments.

TARFU - I did grease the non-exposed/internal parts with grease - more so than the pics of it opened before I did the tear down and rebuild.

MO - Yes, I like the looks of the nickel plated parts.

Rudy - Yep, it's very enjoyable working on the older gear.
ED

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 14, 2016, 12:03:14 AMI have been doing this for about 15 years and this is the first time I have seen anyone relate those two models in the same sentence.
Because of the title of this thread, the 85 Oceanside was included in this information.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sharkman

Seen this reel on local buy and sell app. Seem to be an 85 knuckle buster. I am confused on trying to date. The handle looks maybe prewar. Looks like reel seat has no number  it has hershey kiss clicker. The side plat just has Penn 85.

Penn Chronology

QuoteSeen this reel on local buy and sell app. Seem to be an 85 knuckle buster. I am confused on trying to date. The handle looks maybe prewar. Looks like reel seat has no number  it has hershey kiss clicker. The side plat just has Penn 85.

Looks to be missing parts. All 85's have drags with a star wheel. They are not knuckle busters. The handle is a Penn wood knob handle but not pre-war. Penn used that handle on the Model 85 after the war as well as before.

Benni3

I got 5,,,85's ? There all black side plates,,,, :D

Crow

Those "mottled" plates are pretty slick, Benni ! Is the spool the same way ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Quote from: Crow on October 15, 2019, 02:42:45 AM
Those "mottled" plates are pretty slick, Benni ! Is the spool the same way ?
yes the spool mottled,,,I don't know how unusual this one is ? I got 1 with black side plates mottled spool and the white spool was difficult,,,,, :) just like to know more about the 85,,,,,,,, ;D

milne

Hey there awesome reels Benni,
   The white spool is way cool. Not very common I believe, I've certainly never been able to find one anyhow.... great scores...

Col