TSI301

Started by hafnor, April 13, 2016, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Hi everybody. I have searched far and wide for some TSI301 - Can not seem to find any supplier here in Norway and can not find a site that ships to Norway. Can anyone help me her? I will pay good for this magic lube as my spool bearings need TLC;)

Tiddlerbasher

TSI301 doesn't always ship particularly well - it leaks!
I usually buy TSI321 - the same but without the solvent.
For high speed spool bearings I just dilute it with IPA 8 parts IPA:2 parts 99% IPA) ;)
Try Dawn at Smooth drag
http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Russ at Blackdogtackle used to have some TSI321
http://www.blakdogtackle.com

hafnor

Thank you for your response tiddlerbasher!

I thought the 321 is a thicker oil!? - I need light and fast oil for my spoolbearings

sdlehr

TSI301 is TSI321 with solvent added in. You want TSI321 for your bearings. It performs better than anything else. If you used TSI301 after a short period the solvent would evaporate and you'd be left with 321 anyway. 301 for cleaning, 321 for lube. Like someone else said, you can add solvent to 321 to thin it out if you want; it won't stay there long.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tiddlerbasher

The point about thinning out TSI321 is to reduce the amount of oil you are applying. Thinned 80/20 apply a single drop (or soak the bearing in a sealed container - then shake off excess). When the IPA has evaporated you have the right amount of oil. Too much straight oil would slow a spool bearing ;)

sdlehr

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 13, 2016, 01:31:36 PM
The point about thinning out TSI321 is to reduce the amount of oil you are applying. Thinned 80/20 apply a single drop (or soak the bearing in a sealed container - then shake off excess). When the IPA has evaporated you have the right amount of oil. Too much straight oil would slow a spool bearing ;)
Thanks, Chris! I stand corrected! That does make perfect sense. But I might try to find a different solvent; I do worry about the 9% water content of the IPA though. That won't make the bearings very happy.... or it shouldn't.....

Pretty sure this has been discussed before here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3573.0

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tiddlerbasher

I agree with you Sid, 9% H2O (ie rubbing alcohol), ain't good. That's why I use 99% pure IPA - no impurities left behind when it evaporates - and no problems with plastics :)
The original solvent in TSI301 was similar to TCE, trichlor - useful but nasty. We shouldn't need a 'cleaning' agent for our bearings - we should have already cleaned 'em. We just need to lube them correctly.

The main reason I went down this path is because no US retailer will ship TSI301 to the UK. So I had to make my own :) It's also a lot more cost effective - a little TSI321 goes a long, long way ;)

hafnor

Thank you guys. I found some TSI321 on ebay. PS: Anyone tried Ardent´s "reel butter" bearing oil? Found some on a local tackle shop. It has a nice consistency but is on the thicker side of the scale for spool bearings. Went a lot slower than dry.

Tiddlerbasher

Stick withTSI321 it's all you need ;)

hafnor

Perfect. Do you only use it on bearings? As it leaves a protective seal wouldnt it be smart to "paint" your entire reel with tsi? Both outside and inside...

GClev

Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be a first choice as a solvent for an oil.  It's acidic, polar, and hygroscopic.

If I were still connected to a laboratory or university, I'd prefer some technical pet ether, hexane, or cyclohexane.  If you have some Coleman fuel, use that.  Or an old can of VM&P Naphtha?  Third choice, acetone.  MEK is still available outside CA.  Solvents available to a non-laboratory consumer have changed and are very limited.

I ran across a new clean strip product called "Klean Heat," a white kerosene substitute that appears to be a lot lighter than regular kerosene, but heavier than white gas hydrocarbons.

Home Depot does not replace Sigma-Aldrich.

oc1

GClev, please excuse a string of questions....

Once the oil is stripped away, what is the best readily available drying agent?  Acetone?  Naphtha?  A mixture like brake cleaner? 

Do these things leave a residue?  Would a lab grade acetone leave less residue?  Would flushing and dilution with distilled water and air drying leave less residue?

Thank you.
-steve

exp2000

Quote from: oc1 on May 13, 2016, 09:27:12 PM
GClev, please excuse a string of questions....

Once the oil is stripped away, what is the best readily available drying agent?  Acetone?  Naphtha?  A mixture like brake cleaner?  

Do these things leave a residue?  Would a lab grade acetone leave less residue?  Would flushing and dilution with distilled water and air drying leave less residue?

Thank you.
-steve

TSI is not an oil in the conventional sense. It is a dry film bonding lubricant.

The purpose of an accompanying solvent is to facilitate bonding by providing a clean metal substrate. 98% Isopropyl Alcohol evaporates cleanly leaving no residue plus it is safe and readily available. I use a 4:1 dilution for bearings. I have not experimented with acetone for TSI.

For general metal protection I use a mix of Corrosion X and TSI as recommended by Jim N.

I also use a thin mix of naphtha and TSI for other applications where residue is not an issue.
~

David Hall

Damn, so I have been flooding my bearings in 321 and essentially wasting it?

oc1

In other threads here it is said that TSI301 is not safe to use with plastics.  This limits what you can do with it.
-steve